Baxi combi 28HE hot water issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time posting here, hope someone can help. I have had a look and found similar issues but not quite the same in the forums.

For a couple of weeks we have had intermittent hot water coming through, sometimes it will be completely fine, other times it isn't coming out hot but the boiler is at temperature, then goes above but this doesn't come out of the tap, and isn't high enough to reset.

We've had someone who looked at it for a couple of minutes, and said it probably needed cleaning out inside (our fault - we haven't checked our Magnaclean, kicking ourselves for this), and that at the same time he wanted to replace our 3 way diverter valve as there is a small leak.

We've had a look ourselves at the valve, and the leak is coming from the top where the valve cartridge is placed. These have a seal at the top, which we are thinking could be the problem. Would this require the whole unit to be replaced, or just the cartridge, and how would we know? The boiler man has already ordered the part, having ordered the wrong one in the first instance, so is coming back tomorrow to fit this, but we are concerned that as he only spent a couple of minutes looking at it that this might not be necessary.

Part of the reason we are doubting him is that he is generally being quite unreliable, not coming when he has said he will, not calling when he says he will, etc. He also said that there were two possible diverter valve parts for the particular model of boiler, but we can only find one online, which again seems a bit odd.

I can post pictures if that would help to identify the leaking part.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thank you very much, that is what we thought.

This will sort the leak, however, he indicated that what is causing the lack of hot water is stuff clogging up inside this valve, which he intends to resolve by draining the boiler and using some sort of corrosive to get rid of this stuff. How easy is this to do ourselves, and would it only be in this valve that needs cleaning or elsewhere as well?

He's right you can get two diverters (one with bypass, one without) but +1 with ian above.

Turn the heating off and open the hot tap, then feel the heating flow pipe (far left pipe) is this getting hot ? It might be the plate hex that needs cleaning.

No if there is contamination in the valve then replacing the cartridge will only be a temp fix as the new one will block up too, I would recommend a chemical flush and a filter be fitted on the return pipework and the cartridge replaced

He's right you can get two diverters (one with bypass, one without) but +1 with ian above.

Thanks, didn't know this! Should he have known which having looked at the boiler previously? He ordered one which turned out to be the wrong one after coming out last week.

Tried the heating flow pipe (well, the pipe furthest left!) and that got hot when the hot tap was turned on (heating was off). What does that mean?

No if there is contamination in the valve then replacing the cartridge will only be a temp fix as the new one will block up too, I would recommend a chemical flush and a filter be fitted on the return pipework and the cartridge replaced

We have a magnaclean on the heating return and a lime beater on the cold inlet, if we maintain these (!) should that be sufficient?

Any ideas what sort of cost a chemical flush would be? Sorry if these are daft questions, just trying to not over pay through our naivety!

sorry I never advise on costs as I am not in your area so dont know the going rate and I havent actually seen the job so would never contravene someone who actually had seen it (unlike someone on here) if your engineer has given you a price then it is up to you whether you accept it

I'm back again...

So we ordered the cartridge that was suggested, and asked someone to fit it and do a chemical flush if needed. The good news is the flush isn't needed, but the bad news is that he has broken the new cartridge and the old one when tightening them up after inserting them. He says he's not sure how they broke as the inside of the diverter valve is clean, he couldn't feel anything that would be stopping it from moving in. He has gone off now to order another one, but I am worried that now we will be paying for another one that could break again.

Any thoughts on why the cartridge has broken, is there some 'trick' for fitting it? There was nothing in the manual to indicate how it should be put together, and like I say there was nothing inside that he could find causing the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back