Baxi combi boiler - eggy smell suddenly appeared?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all :)

I need a bit of advice please concerning an eggy smell that has very suddenly appeared and which seems to be coming from the the boiler. I've searched the forums for 'egg smell' and nothing matched my issue exactly, but I tried to bear a few things in mind which I've seen mentioned.

1. The boiler is a Baxi Combi Instant 80 HE 'condensing combination boiler'.

2. The smell appeared suddenly - it wasn't present until sometime in the middle of today. The heating had been on early in the morning (after which there was no smell). It wasn't on again prior to the smell appearing, but the hot water had likely been running on and off (so the boiler will have fired up).

2. The water itself doesn't smell when we turn any taps on - hot or cold.

3. It's not overpowering, but at it's most noticable the smell covered the area around the airing cupboard where the boiler is fitted, plus the 2 neighbouring rooms (bathroom & a bedroom). At that point it was hard to pin down exactly where it was coming from.

4. It's weaker at the moment, and not noticable in the bathroom. But if I stick my head in the airing cupboard where the boiler is, then I can smell it straight away. So I'm fairly sure it's coming from there right now.

5. We've got a carbon monoxide detector in the cupboard with the boiler, and it isn't showing any 'dark spots'. Although... I did put it in their in mid August, and it says on it that it should be replaced every 3 months. So I'm not sure how reliable it is now (not at all?)

Can anyone offer any info on what this might be, if it even sounds likely to be the boiler based on the symptoms? Is there danger? Is there anything I can try, or is it something I'd be best leaving to a pro?

Cheers :)
Mike

Sponsored Links
Those stick-on CO spot detectors are about as reliable for detecting CO as a piece of cheese.

Could it be a plastic burning smell? Might be something's up on the PCB and it's burning out possibly...best to get it checked out

Thanks for the replies :)

muggles said:
Those stick-on CO spot detectors are about as reliable for detecting CO as a piece of cheese.

Could it be a plastic burning smell? Might be something's up on the PCB and it's burning out possibly...best to get it checked out

Haha, should I stick some Dairylee in there and see if it changes colour? The smell isn't what I'd call plasticy... it's just eggy! It's doesn't smell like anything burning.

gasman26 said:
Is the boiler on LPG?

I'm not enitrely sure what an LPG boiler is, but having just googled it I found this...

http://www.baxi.co.uk/products/lpg-boilers.htm

That lists the 'Baxi Combi 105 HE', and the manual I have says 'Baxi Combi Instant 80 HE' AND 'Baxi Combi Instant 105 HE'. So I'm guessing yes, it is an LPG?

Sponsored Links
He means does it run on natural gas (Do you have a gas meter) or Liquified propane gas (Do you have a large gas storage tank in the garden that needs refilling)

The simple answer is: if there is even a suspicion of gas or poc leaking from the boiler, you should have it checked by a RGI.

He means does it run on natural gas (Do you have a gas meter) or Liquified propane gas (Do you have a large gas storage tank in the garden that needs refilling)

Ah, I thought that might be it, but didn't want to assume. It's hooked up to a mains gas supply with a meter.

bengasman said:
The simple answer is: if there is even a suspicion of gas or poc leaking from the boiler, you should have it checked by a RGI.

Hmm, in that case I guess I'd better make a call. It's very faint this morning, and only present if sniff around the boiler, but it's definitely there.

Thanks very much for all of your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back