Eggy Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on our problem....which is a strong sometimes not so strong 'eggy' smell in our hallway and up our stairs. All the drains are working fine and there are no bad smells in the bathrooms or downstairs loo. There is a soil stack next to the front door. It has an inspection cap at the bottom which I took off and all seems clear it even smelt better than in our hallway. I m 99% certain there are no pipes going under the house.
Its a complete mystery as it seems to come and go with no pattern at all.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Anyone out there with any ideas? My better half is giving me some serious earache and I want to watch Top Gear!!!!!!!

23_33_10.gif

if you've checked all the drains, soil pipe, waste traps etc not much else left.

whats the floor downstairs ? screed, floorboards etc.
is it coming up from under the floor ?

Hi seco. Floor downstairs is concrete throughout. Wondered the same myself but I m 99% sure there are no drains under the floor. Was nt sure if soil stack seals could leak and permeate smells under the front door?
Thanks for reply.

Sponsored Links
No cracks and no seals have been disturbed although there is a joint at the level of the door so maybe I ll put some silicon round so I can rule it out.
I m at a loss to know what to try next.

you say the soil pipe has a inspection cap at the bottom of the soil pipe ?

Yeah its a screw cap then theres an insert that slides out, the end of which is rounded so as not to impede the stack. There seems to be a good seal on it.

Electrical fittings like sockets can give out a bad smell if overloaded or arcing inside.

Tony

i was thinking that you could do a quick check of the pipe from the house to the drain.
by fitting a pipe bung in the pipe at the drain end and filling with water from the cap end.
then leave it to see if the water gos down.

Hi Tony. Ive been having a good sniff around but can t find anything out of the ordinary.
Thanks.

Seco.
I dont think this inspection hole is big enough to get a proper bung through. It would be a case of an old rag which obviously would be no good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back