Baxi cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi 133HE

Recently its started switching off early evening. The stat is calling for heat and the boiler isnt saying no flame but only a pipe at the bottom is warm, all rads cold.

Some of the rads are std valves (not TRVs) so they'll always be open and are still cold. I'm wondering whether theres a blockage in the system somewhere. Its a little noisey when i reset but heats up fine.

Since 05 this boiler has had a PCB, some air valve and a diaphragm. It seems high maintenance and i'm thinking of cutting my losses with it now.

Its also very slow for hot water, the burner comes on, shuts off, comes on and eventually heats the water, probably 20s of dicking about loke this sometimes.

Getting fed up now

Sponsored Links
parts expensive not the best of boilers best get rid of if not I can sell you a spare one which other people got sick of

As far as I know the only people who have a baxi are tenants, because landlords won't pay for a decent boiler, It may be the pump is not running at full speed, but don't throw any more money at it get rid of it. I am almost completely disillusioned by the unreliability of modern boilers and as far as recommendations for a replacement are concerned I would tentatively suggest Intergas since their boilers seem to be very reliable. I am going to see them in a weeks time and having visited them and had hands on experience with them they will allow me to offer the costumer who lets me fit their Intergas boiler a 5 year guarantee instead of 3 year. I am going because I want to see how good or bad they are, I was a development engineer before I was a heating engineer so I can see good from bad design.

Sponsored Links
peter even intergas have their faults
I will know more about them when I see them at the moment I can only go by what I am told. I accept that no boiler is going to be perfect, it doesn't have to fly to the moon and back, I always used to recommend Vaillant but now I am not so sure. By the way when you get your email notification that a reply to a post has been made do you get the email once or like me 12 times for the same post.

I wonder what Peter developed before he was an RGI?

Ideal boilers?

Ironically back in 2005 the plumber who fitted the boiler asked me what I wanted and I said reliable, quality.

He had this boiler at home (so he claims)

Free. Did it again tonight. Ran fine all day at 19C but then on a higher temp it cut out after <2hrs

Then when reset ran for another 4 hrs fine

I might test the stat

The reset is usually activated by the overheat stat or repeated failed ignition, so it may be worth replacing the overheat stat anyway since they don't need a drain of boiler at all and only cost about £15-£20

As far as I know the only people who have a baxi are tenants, because landlords won't pay for a decent boiler

Just because you've seen badly installed and maintained ones in rented accommodation, doesn't mean Baxi are crap. Even the older combis I look after are all still going, you repair and service them until it's no longer economically viable to do so. Never had to rip one out yet....

I've not seen one of these particular boilers in a rented property. They were a flagship boiler at the time. Ravenheat, Ferroli and Heatline are landlord's favourites in my experience.
And even then, these budget boilers are so badly installed and looked after that they fail long before their time. If they're sludged up, leaking all over the components/PCB and not serviced for years....what do the owners expect?

I see too many boiler makes being slated by installers because they don't fit them. All machinery can break down, it's an engineering fact.
I don't think ripping out a boiler and replacing with new because it's got a fault which could easily be repairable is sound advice. That's the sort of thing that gives RGIs a bad name.

Well its failed again, i think either the pump or fan has siezed and taken the pcb with it.

Since 2005 it has had

-new pcb
-new expansion chamber
-new valve (at the top)
-new flow controller

It only broke down in August (flow controller) and has now failed again. Tiny little fuse in the pcb has blown but the smell from there suggests it something else went too.

Lost confidence with it, i want something reliable as i'm often away with work and we have a 2yr old. So are Intergas the one to go for still?

I'm considering them and Worcester atm

And buying a few leccy rads

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back