Baxi Duo Tec Combi Boiler "Noise"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Boiler was fitted 2yrs 10mths ago and after being serviced at the end of October it developed the following symptoms: Would not ignite when switched on, made a few tinkling sounds, temp gauge started to go up, say to 40 then would drop quickly all the way down to 15 at which point a loud 'clunk' could be heard from inside the Cabinet, the Green pilot would come on and it fired up. This happened during the week after the service was done so I called back the Engineers (Father & son). Luckily enough it did it when they came so they saw first hand what was happening. As the Boiler is under warranty they said to call Baxi as they were not allowed to go 'into' the Boiler. Baxi have been out today and having opened it up and checked they could not find/or see any reason as to why it would be behaving this way. However what the Engineer did say he found (which would not be the problem) was that the "Expansion Vessel was flat and needed charging" and that it should be re-charged with every service. As I did not have a clue what he was on about I simply made a note of the comments and tonight told our Service Engineer who has responded with "He hasn't got a clue what he's talking about, he's given you a load of old toff" - Now why would the Baxi Engineer lie? he wasn't trying to flog me something. Anyone got any views on this please. Think I may need to change my Service Engineers next year!

Sponsored Links
Definitely need new service engineers. An expansion vessel should indeed be checked annually. It sounds like your guys weren't doing a service, but were instead simply doing what's known as a "poke and go" - checking the combustion values are correct and if they are, running away with your money. That's not a service, it's a con. A service on one of these should take about 30-40 minutes

Definitely need new service engineers. An expansion vessel should indeed be checked annually. It sounds like your guys weren't doing a service, but were instead simply doing what's known as a "poke and go" - checking the combustion values are correct and if they are, running away with your money. That's not a service, it's a con. A service on one of these should take about 30-40 minutes

Well, there's two levels of a boiler 'service'. Safety Check & Full Service.
Most of the Nationals will only do a safety check & a full service will not be included in any 'contract'.
Don't pay for contracts, put the money in a Bank Account & pay for a local RGI to carry out a full service annually, any money left over can be saved for large repairs.

Use local engineers, build a relationship.

Well, there's two levels of a boiler 'service'. Safety Check & Full Service.
Most of the Nationals will only do a safety check & a full service will not be included in any 'contract'.
Don't pay for contracts, put the money in a Bank Account & pay for a local RGI to carry out a full service annually, any money left over can be saved for large repairs.

Use local engineers, build a relationship.
We do, we have !! The guys who installed the Boiler are the same ones who have been doing the services (also changed all our rads at a later date) they have always appeared very helpful and have good feedback on the Trust-a-trader site. This is another reason we are perplexed. I can say that with the Expansion Vessel being located where it is, inside the 'guts' of the Boiler, our Service Engineers are not allowed to tamper with that section because of the Warranty. Where does that put us next year when it needs charging again? Do we call Baxi out to do it? Think I will have a chat with Baxi.

Sponsored Links
I can say that with the Expansion Vessel being located where it is, inside the 'guts' of the Boiler, our Service Engineers are not allowed to tamper with that section because of the Warranty.
Absolute rubbish I'm afraid - removing the cover to access the "guts" of the boiler is a requirement of carrying out the annual service and far from invalidating your warranty will actually maintain it. If they aren't taking the cover off that allows access to the expansion vessel, they aren't servicing your boiler properly

Thanks to everyone for all your comments. I knew the Baxi Engineer had no reason to 'make up' this info. I have now moved us to Baxi.

An annual Safety Check is all that's required to maintain the manufactures warranty.

OP, it certainly sounds like your guy is a bit of a Boiler Basher & not a Service Engineer.

OP, me thinks your installer does not know how to service your boiler; instal it ok, but know how it ticks or what is required of him.....no

Tosh. Checking the expansion vessel pressure requires the boiler to be drained down. If its upstairs its not a problem, but if its downstairs it means either a drain down or the isolating valves need closing (if they work). Sometimes (i.e. Very often) they start leaking when re-opened, to replace is roughly £60 plus fitting. Don't know if baxi would change them under warranty, but if it was out of warranty who would pay for them ? I've had the old "they were ok till you touched them" on a few occasions. So now i watch the boiler pressure from cold and talk to the customer, if i think it needs topping up then (after telling the customer what could happen) i do it. From the OP it sounds like you could possibly have a sticky pump/diverter cartridge. Plus it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturers engineer has talked a load of b olloks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back