Baxi Duo Tec frozen - ideas needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Duo Tec 33HE, 18 months old and mounted in our garage.

Twice in the past week I've woken up to a cold house (!) an error code 119 (low system pressure).

On investigation, the system pressure gauge read about 1 bar (as expected) but the I still couldn't reset the system as the low pressure code persisted.

After opening the cover to the heat exchanger and putting a couple of hair dryers on the heat exchanger for about 15 mins the code suddenly cleared itself and the boiler sprung back to life as normal - same drill on both occasions.

My conclusion is that for some reason the internal frost protection system hasn't worked allowing the water in the heat exchanger or around the water pressure sensor at the top of the heat exchanger to freeze leading to a an incorrect low pressure reading causing the shutdown.

The combined room stat/timer in the house is set to put the heating off at night and then on again at 6am. These were both on very cold nights (-5C) but none the less I would have expected the internal boiler frost protection system to protect against this - after all it was definitely the water in the boiler itself which froze - not the connecting pipework.

The boiler is still under warranty and an engineer is coming to look at it next week but it would be good to be armed with some thoughts about the problem, if my theory sounds correct and what the solutions might be.

For example, is there a specific sensor in the boiler which triggers the frost protection and may be faulty or does it use the normal hot water/CH water temp sensors?

The boiler has been a straight swap for a Puma boiler using the same pipework, location etc which never suffered from freezing. Do I need to consider fitting a frost stat?

Cheers in hope...!

Sponsored Links
The thermistor controls the frost protection and if this were faulty it would show up on the display ! I would get the engineer to replace the pressure sensor as i suspect this is at fault! also the boiler frost stat only protects the boiler and not the connecting pipework so make sure it is lagged or have a frost stat fitted :LOL:

Do I need to consider fitting a frost stat?...!
yes, if the boiler instructions doesn't specifically state it has one built in! You can wire the frost stat to just enable the pump as moving water in the system will be enough to stop freezing. My boiler has such protection and the pump is running all the time when the boiler is not timed to come on.

Can you not also build a compartment to surround the boiler and insulate it. Refer to the instructions to do this safely.

Sponsored Links
The thermistor controls the frost protection and if this were faulty it would show up on the display ! I would get the engineer to replace the pressure sensor as i suspect this is at fault! also the boiler frost stat only protects the boiler and not the connecting pipework so make sure it is lagged or have a frost stat fitted :LOL:

ok - thanks. The pipework around it boiler is lagged and not had any probs with that ever freezing - yet...!

For the poster below - the boiler info does say it has internal frost protection....

Get a pipe stat to link in with the frost stat.

As I see you have your boiler in the garage, there may not be enough heat from the unit itself to satisfy the frost stat.

Clamp the pipe stat under pipe lagging, as this is a more efficient and accurate way of detecting when the water temp reaches below freezing.

Get a pipe stat to link in with the frost stat.

As I see you have your boiler in the garage, there may not be enough heat from the unit itself to satisfy the frost stat.

Clamp the pipe stat under pipe lagging, as this is a more efficient and accurate way of detecting when the water temp reaches below freezing.

Yes - I had wondered about that - I can see it being on all night and never warming the garage enough to kick the frost stat off - pipe stat sounds more what I need.

OP - The clue is in the error code.....low water pressure.

Often 1 bar (cold) will not be enough to allow the system to operate.

Fill to 1.5 bar cold......you won't have any more issues. This IS NOT a frost protection issue, nor a faulty thermistor.......

OP - The clue is in the error code.....low water pressure.

Often 1 bar (cold) will not be enough to allow the system to operate.

Fill to 1.5 bar cold......you won't have any more issues. This IS NOT a frost protection issue, nor a faulty thermistor.......

Ahhh that's interesting - thanks. I was following what I thought was pretty general practice that 1 bar cold was what to aim for but happy to be corrected. My experience suggests this mean that when hot the system will be running at about 3 bar which is into the 'red' on the gauge. (boiler instructions say if system pressure goes below 0.5 bar or above 2.5 you need an engineer....!)

So are you saying around 3 bar would be ok?

If it hits 3 bar when hot then your expansion vessel is depressurised or broken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back