baxi duotec pump runs constantly,,,???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello I have had two duo tecs fitted recently a 28 months ago and a 24 a few days ago,,,the 28 I rarely use so its always turned off but something ive noticed that it always seems to be running even when it powered up,,,like if ive been using the hot water the circulating pump just never turns off,,,i never really noticed it until I got a 24 fitted at another property the other day and its completely different,,,it actually goes silent when not being used like it should,,,could the 28 have been wired in wrong???,,,I'm just asking to get opinons etc before I get my installer back,,,anybody???

Sponsored Links
Your boiler has its pump built in so the boiler will control it, it not uncommon for a boiler PCB to fail so that the pump stays permanently on.

It could have been wired in wrongly and is connected to a permanent live, rather than a switched live, but I don't think that's very likely, unless someone incompetent has been messing with it.

Is it just the pump that is running, or does the boiler operate as well?

Last edited:
I turn the power on and it is set to hot water only,,,the fan comes straight on for a few seconds then turns off but the circulating pump never stops no matter what,,,it will just keep going even though no heating or hot water are being called for,,,the boiler does have a wireless room stat fitted,,,like the digi clock thing that stands on a shelf or wherever ye want to put it in the property and the remote little signal sender box fixed to the boiler cupboard wall wired into the boiler,,,im guessing its something to do with this???,,,I read a similar post on another site where someone had fitted one and forgot to take out the link or something when fitting the stat,,,does that sound about right???

nope as you would have heat all the time , its a boiler fault .
get installer to call baxi out 7 year g`tee providing you have had it serviced

Sponsored Links
will do mate,,,the boilers not even been in a year and very rarely been used,,,i was just trying to get some ideas what it might be before I get the lad out......

I'm no electritian or heating engineer but that wiring doesn't seem to match up with the instructions to me??? any thoughts anybody,,,the mains are switched off and I don't intend to touch anything myself,,,i just wanted a quick look in out of curiousity as the boiler is acting very strange,,,cycling,,,sometimes pump wont shut down,,,and now heating wont work unless wireless stat is reset...

DSC_0024.JPG DSC_0022.JPG

the stat wires - neutral has been stuck in with neutral from the power wire,,,live has been stuck in with live from the power wire,,,and earth has been stuck in line 1 of the stat terminals,,,??? but painted black with marker pen...

Last edited:
after just watching a video on youtube on how to wire these stats in it beggars belief that anyone could get this wrong never mind a qualified heating engineer,,,two 2 core cables from stat receiver box,,,one joined to existing live and neutral on boiler,,,the other would be your switching cable connected to line one and two after removing the link,,,childsplay,,,it must be very easy to get your qualifications to be a boiler fitter is all I can say,,,no disrespect meant to all you professional lads who take a pride in your work......

doesnt matter how the stat has been wired if its bringing pump on boiler would also be firing so its not the problem as you have already been told

so wiring the stat to the boiler in this way could not damage the pcb to make the boiler act erratically like it has been ???,,,would any guarantees be invalid if wired in this way???,,,its obviously not the way its supposed to be wired in...

after just watching a video on youtube on how to wire these stats in it beggars belief that anyone could get this wrong never mind a qualified heating engineer,,,two 2 core cables from stat receiver box,,,one joined to existing live and neutral on boiler,,,the other would be your switching cable connected to line one and two after removing the link,,,childsplay,,,it must be very easy to get your qualifications to be a boiler fitter is all I can say,,,no disrespect meant to all you professional lads who take a pride in your work......

Actually, as an electrical circuit, it is wired correctly and is achieving exactly what it should [Assuming that thermostat is correctly wired at the other end, and I don't have any reason to think it's not]. There is nothing wrong with where the wires are connected. It was obviously done by someone who actually understands electrical circuits and knows what they are doing rather than a fixed 'this wire goes to this terminal' approach without any understanding what each wire actually does.

there seems a reluctance for some reason to call the manufacturer out , why wouldnt you to a couple of month old boiler not functioning correctly?

thanks for all your replies lads,,,its great to be able to get some advice on here,,,much appreciated...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back