Baxi eternal overflow leaking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi any help appreciated.

I have A Baxi Bermuda, ive looked on the site and mine looks like the C5 but i have the on off dial on the side of the fire not the top.

heating goes on and heats up lovely, then here a click sounds like 2 copper tubes being tapped together.

Then a air bubble sound "very" noisey (Whale indegestion noisey.)

Then cold water shoots out external over flow.

Recent work 2 towel radiators fitted, but the air gurgles where there prior but not so worrying and not so much over flow.

I' ve just had a water meter fitted so not the best thing to happen right now.

The set up
all pipes lead to the copper water tank.

top of the tank 2 pipes attached both with the usuall flat blade closing valves.

On the wall i have a large red thing which i think must be the pump it gets very hot.

below it directly is a copper type of shut off valve that would need the red cock stop handle not a flat blade and there is alos one of these directly underneath the red thing, i asume to isolate pump to replace.

Further across from this there is a pipe that goes up but goes no where and has a large copper cirlcular section on top of it, from watching programmes i think this to be the thermostate.

there is also some other release joint down in the lounge, that comes from out the chimney stack so definately attaches beind the fire.

Any ideas any one, I'm happy to try anything.

Sponsored Links
Is it a sealed system with a red pressure vessel the size of a footbal, and apressur e gauge? If spoo what doe it read . If it's elow 1, can you fill it with the filling loop, to about 1?
(see faq)

COuld also be air locked - look for a vent near the HW cylinder.

Also wonder if the pump's running. Can you remove the centre screw(dribbles) & poke a screwdriver in to feel it turning?

you have a lot of words there.

unfortunately they are somewhat jumbled up.

a picture paints a thousand words.

you've got a back boiler, you've had two new/replacement rads/rails fitted.

c5 is a fire.

all the pipes are lead & copper.

you have an old safety valve on the primary's perhaps.

& you have a spaceship in your airing cupboard screaming like a whale spouting water outside.

i don't think ive quite got this quite right.

perhaps you would like to try again after the drugs have warn off.

Sponsored Links
your boiler stat has probably gone the noise is the water getting far To hot then shooting up into the header tank .
ChrisR baxi back boiler should not be on pressurised system.
Translated most of it but the big copper circular thing gets me :confused:

your boiler stat has probably gone the noise is the water getting far To hot then shooting up into the header tank .
ChrisR baxi back boiler should not be on pressurised system.
Translated most of it but the big copper circular thing gets me :confused:

That sounds about right and would certainly fit the noise it makes.

I dont have a refill loop i would of advised if so :rolleyes: come on i talk gobbledy gooope but im only 1 sandwhich short of a picnic.

I dont mind any comments as long as some of you know your bits and bobs from your bobs and bits. :LOL:

The big round copper thing has got me puzzled now

I remember watchin the news when teh council was having alot of trouble with water tanks flooding through cielings and they showed a guy, placing a long copper prong into a copper water pipe and on teh top it had this cupcake shaped coppr thingy... that any better?? :D :D :D

Any takers.... it has a round screw type thing on the top with rivets all round it.

PS I do have the wall mounted heating monitor ( thermostate i think?) in the passge, and its on 22 when its very cold, is that a bit to hot for the system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back