Baxi gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help. Have a Baxi Braemar 3 gas fire that's been serviced regularly for years. Now GasSafe guy tells me that the closure plate is not the right one for the fire and I need a new one. Gas fire is now said to be obsolete and tried anywhere and everywhere to get the Baxi part:090023. If I can't get the part I'm told I'll have to buy a new fire - and I'm a pensioner! Never had any trouble with fire before but now the gas is capped to that fire. Does anyone know where I can get this part?

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a decent engineer. Get him to have one made for your fire. A call to baxi will be able to give you measurements and just take it to a sheet metal guy who will cut the holes.

Nath

Help. Have a Baxi Braemar 3 gas fire that's been serviced regularly for years. Now GasSafe guy tells me that the closure plate is not the right one for the fire and I need a new one. Gas fire is now said to be obsolete and tried anywhere and everywhere to get the Baxi part:090023. If I can't get the part I'm told I'll have to buy a new fire - and I'm a pensioner! Never had any trouble with fire before but now the gas is capped to that fire. Does anyone know where I can get this part?

Why did he cap it? Did he label it as Immediately Dangerous? if so, he has possibly over graded the fault. However, as he was the engineer on sit, ,it is not fair to be adamant about this.

What does his documentation say?

I have no paperwork from gas man. He just said that fire needed proper plate for back of gas fire. I have 2 baxi braemar 3 gas fires bought and fitted at the same time and they've been serviced before so couldn't understand why suddenly the closure plate now no good! So he capped the pipe til new plate arrives. He couldn't locate one and now I'm left with his suggestion to fit an electric fire (no thank you) or replace with a new gas fire (expensive option). I've telephoned and searched online but told it's obsolete. He said if I could find another gas person to fit the present closure plate (that hasn't been a problem in 25 years) then that's up to me!!

Sponsored Links
If anyone in the Preston Lancashire area is able to assist, would be very grateful. Have looked up sheet metal workers in the area and that will be my last resort if can't get sorted with a part or someone who can tell me why, after all these years, my fire is no longer worthy of use, even though not told by gas man the reason why present closure plate cannot be fitted. Cost enough to have central heating and other fire serviced!!

Sounds a bit absurd! We used to cut closure plates all the time mostly they are a hole the size of the flue outlet and something like a 2" x 1" air relief hole at the bottom

However specific fires do differ, but as long as you can find out the size of the cut outs any fitter with an ounce of skill can cut one from alli sheet with snips (or a round hole with a butchered screwdriver or chisel) most plumbers merchants / heating suppliers will supply blank plates.

Despite the fire being obsolete Baxi should be able to provide the dimentions from some sort of archive.

If he did not condemn the other ones surely your fitter can copy the dimensions form there.

They sell blank plates here but only in packs of ten by post unfortunately.

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/013.asp

It sounds as if some gas engineers go the extra mile! As we have 2 fires exactly the same and the closure plate to the front lounge one is fine, then all it should need is copying! Now to get someone to do that, ie, remove the gas fire again+take a copy to someone who can cut out the right holes! I knew I should have taken a course in plumbing or something after retirement!! Trying to keep our central heating system+ gas fires in good working order has turned into a bit of a nightmare!! But thank you all!

standard uncut closure plates are readily available and as you have other fires of the same model it would be easy to buy a blank plate and copy all the dimensions, not a big or difficult job to be honest

Sounds like I need to find a local guy who is willing to help us. I presently feel as if I've been set adrift in a rather large ocean!! Thank you for your comment. It helps to know that there is a way forward that isn't buying a new gas fire! Thank you again.

Knowing I now have to find another gas engineer to help with closure plate, can anyone recommend someone around the Preston Lancashire area? Would be so grateful for help to get this sorted.

For all your gas engineers out there, apparently when the gas man came to service the gas fire in question he said there was an obstruction in the chimney and that it would need a chimney sweep. He capped the gas and would return when chimney swept. After numerous phone calls we managed to get one and the chimney was swept and we have paperwork to say there's no obstruction. Then told that fire obsolete and couldn't get closure plate and was given the 2 options of electric fire or new gas fire - so you are now up to date with the saga! It's cost a fair amount to date so now need the final step of getting closure plate sorted with help of kind local gas engineer!!

It was the gas spares place on watling street road who gave me the product number as they didn't have the closure plate - very helpful. Will call again tomorrow re a blank closure plate to get copied. Don't let anyone tell you that people who are retired sit around watching daytime tv!! I wish!!

Perhaps its a silly question to you, but why when you have central heating do you still want to use inefficient gas fires?

We had 2 gas fires installed before we had any central heating! When we moved in there was no heating of any kind other than two defunct gas fires that were ripped out. We use the gas fires occasionally before the real winter sets in because as pensioners we can't afford to use the central heating to heat the whole house because of the cost!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back