Baxi / main boiler making creepy noises on central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had this Main 30 eco combi boiler for over a year now and its has always been reliable, untill recently when I have been using the radiators more often, I noticed this strange noise like a flute or squeaky brakes on a lorry being amplified through the pipes/radiators.

At first i though it was outside so did not take much notice but now it is happening more often and now sounds metalic, like a microphone being tested. It is louder in the bedroom next to the boiler and in the bathroom where the boiler is located.

It only happens occasionally but is enough to wake the neighbours. I have noticed that it happens mainly when the boiler fan slows down but is fine when the heating is at a steady speed. It is louder the radiators than the at the boiler itself.
I have checked all the trvs and all are quiet and tried turning off and on the radiators / bleeding but no difference. yet the boiler works fine and no error codes etc Any ideas as it did not do this before,

Sponsored Links
it is getting serviced next week as it is just gone one year old but I can bet the noise wont be there when the plumber checks it! its kind of intermittant, I have tried turning the boiler thermostat down but no difference, any clues as to what it could be, do you think sentinel silencer would stop the noise vibrating through the pipes?

could be anything, gas valve would be one of the first things i would look at tbh. your service guy should be made aware of this problem.

Sponsored Links
I know it has been quite a while but the installer has come back and said straight away that the fan needs replacing as the bearings are shot, As soon as he took the cover off you could hear a loud vibrating noise which I always thought was the norm for this boiler it did this from day one, I buit a special cupboard to hide the noise! luckily it has 2 years guarentee, hopefully when baxi come out i will have a nice quiet boiler!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back