Baxi Main Combi 24 HE. No hot water. Diverter Valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a Baxi Main Combi 24 he boiler that is not supplying any hot water at all now. Everything appears to be working nearly correctly. The diaphragm pushrods activate the micro-switches on both the heating and DHW sides of the diverter valve, and the boiler fires up in both cases. All's good apart from the fact that when the hot tap is turned on, all the hot water is pumped around the heating rather than out of the tap! Would I be right in thinking that this is caused by the diverter valve itself sticking (a new DHW plate heat exchanger was fitted a few months ago), or could it be some other issue?

If it is likely to be a sticking diverter valve, would I be better off buying a new one off of Ebay for £50 or £60, or would it probably be ok after a good clean and greasing?

A BIT OF EXTRA, POSSIBLY IRRELEVANT, INFO:

The hot water started taking 10-20 seconds longer to come through a few weeks ago, and then shortly after needed the hot tap to be turned on and off several times before it would come through hot. From there, it died completely. I moved into the house earlier this year, and the boiler had obviously been neglected. A new DHW heat exchanger and pressure relief valve were fitted a few months ago, and I flushed and cleaned out the dirty rusty water shortly after and fitted a magnetic filter.

Sponsored Links
well, you've pretty much diagnosed this yourself.

Pull the diverter aprt and look for muck or impurities.

if it's badly worn replace it.

and yes it sounds like the diverter is sticking.

heat exchangeders can be flushed out with bleach and various cleaners.

Thanks for your input. I asked because I wasn't 100% sure it was possible for both differential valve pushrods to work with a stuck diverter valve. As an amateur it's always good to have a second opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back