Baxi Promax 50 HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This boiler was fitted by a friend of mine about 18 months ago.

It gives occasional flame failure lockouts but never when either of us are there.

I have checked all the usual possible causes and have just two unknowns, the gas valve sticking or the PCB faulty.

Does anyone have any experience of this situation?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Suely someone else has experienced this problem?

Tony

They were checked and had about 3 mm gap and showed no signs of arcing ont he insulator/leads. It ignites immediately whenever I test it !

The tennant says it fails first thing in the morning but then usually runs all day after that !!!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Have you checked that meter governor is not sticking first thing in morning

Thats a very good point although the meter is indoors and will not be that much colder but might be just that it has not operated for several hours.

The simple answer is that I dont know! However you have given me a good idea!

I will get the tenant to run the gas cooker before first starting the boiler in the morning.

Tony

Checking for a sticking regulator has stalled !

The cooker is electric so the agent called Transco NG to ask them to change the regulator but they came and "said its fine" !

Thats the first time that I have had them refuse to change a regulator.

As the boiler might have a sticking gas valve or faulty PCB those are expensive bits and its always a good idea to replace the regulator first.

Any suggestions on howw to get Transco to change it or should I just change it myself to eliminate it from the situation?

Tony

For the sake of twenty quid for governor/flex and meter fitting i would change it myself just to make sure, or try phoning again and see if someone more helpfull comes out.

This tends to show on boilers that have an initial lighting pressure around 2mb

Any suggestions on howw to get Transco to change it or should I just change it myself to eliminate it from the situation?

Tell them that it IS sticking no that you THINK its sticking. ;)

If it were the electrodes, then why would that only lock out first thing in the morning and then run sweetly for the rest of the day?

The boiler was fitted about 15 months ago! Would that be the earlier type? Are they a "must change" replacement?

Tony

Possibly locking out the day/night before and customer not noticing till the hot water runs cold in the morning.

This problem is now in the second or third week and they very clearly tell me that it ONLY locks out first thing in the morning ???

They also say the heating gets too hot in the evening but I expect thats just because they are not using the roon stat.

Its the lockout problem which I am more interested in solving.

I am more inclined towards the sticking regulator as the first suspect as there is no other gas useage in the house.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back