Baxi Solo 2 50 PF - Pilot and Ignition Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted my problem a couple of months ago, and thought I had found a solution, but apparently not. So any help that anyone on this forum could give me would be appreciated.

The only way I could get my boiler to ignite was to put my hand over a part of the flue on the outside wall. This pointed to the fact that there was too much air being sucked in or blown out, and I got a resrictor fitted. This made no difference, and although I realise this is a no no as a permanent fix, I fitted some cooking foil across part of the fan outlet flange. This gave me more of a yellow flame a hot to the touch outside caseing, and hotter domestic water (also some carbon deposits on the burner), but the boiler lit, which I was grateful for over the recent cold spell.

Over the last year or so, I 've had various gas experts try and sort my problem out, and I think that every component has been changed except the fan and the burner. The last one I had has done something because the rads don't get so hot now, and the flame is back to blue, even though the foil is still there. I note that there is a a pressure regulator screw, and I'm wondering if he adjusted this. I need to sort the problem out once and for all and hoping to avoid having to have a new boiler, and in the meantime I need hotter rads. (should I try turning this crew clockwise to increase gas pressure)?

Anyone out there got any ideas

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

get someone who knows what they are doing and doesnt leave your boiler with foil covering the flue

the problem will be sorted out once and for all if you carry on messing with the boiler. You wont need the heat in a grave. What makes you think you know more than the engineers who do not know the problem. The gas should burn blue not orange except at the tips. Get an engineer out and turn your boiler off or remove the foil

This is a prime example of why DIY gas work should not be attempted.

He has absolutely no idea of what he is doing and its dangerous.

If he really called any CORGI registered people and they could not fix it properly he should have asked CORGI to send one of their inspectors to give advice.

Where do you live? Perhaps we could send out one of the better engineers who post on here out to you?

Tony

Sponsored Links
This is a prime example of why DIY gas work should not be attempted.

He has absolutely no idea of what he is doing and its dangerous.

If he really called any CORGI registered people and they could not fix it properly he should have asked CORGI to send one of their inspectors to give advice.

Where do you live? Perhaps we could send out one of the better engineers who post on here out to you?

Tony

The only diy I have attempted on this boiler is to turn the pressure regulator screw clockwise one turn. All the rest of the work has been carried out by CORGI registered gas fitters and consultants (this includes the temp fitting of the foil over the flange). Of course I've no idea what I'm doing, I depend on so called experts, and I appear to have been relying on halfwits, who have ripped me off fitting new gas valves, spark electrodes, ht leads, pilot assemblies, mother boards etc etc.

I have also spent a fortune on the phone talking to the proles at Baxi, who have about as useful as a chocolate kettle.

In answer to your question I live in the Portsmouth area, so if anyone knows a gas fitter that knows what they are doing in this part of the country please let me now

Cheers

It sounds to me as though you have been had for a long time :eek:

As it appears to be a combustion issue the burner pressure needs setting correctly to MI's and possibly checking the casing seals for leaks.

Again I do not know why people pay for repairs that do not fix the boiler or insist that the same engineer comes back FOC until he gets it sorted, apart from parts maybe.

First thing i would do to this boiler is strip out the pilot assy completely and clean it ,too many people say they have done it and have not got a clue how it comes apart so just blow down on it

It sounds to me as though you have been Again I do not know why people pay for repairs that do not fix the boiler or insist that the same engineer comes back FOC until he gets it sorted, apart from parts maybe.

Thanks for the advice to those who have given it so far. I hear what you are saying about insisting on people coming back until it is sorted, but those I have had look at my boiler, have failed despite several foc visits. The most annoying thing of course is that several new parts have been fitted which didn't need to be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back