Baxi-Solo 2 50 PF works then stops after a few minutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Baxi-Solo 2 50 PF ignites for a few minutes maybe 10 or more then goes off. All lights are off and the boiler is producing a small humming noise as if something is trying to start. There is no clicking so I guess its not trying to start the pilot.

If I leave it off for 10 mins or so I can get it started again, but the problem repeats.

This just started happening yesterday after the boiler was off for 6 hours or so.

It has been recently serviced. I'm also due to move out of this house in 2 weeks, bad timing for a boiler repair bill :(

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It could be a number of things. I've just had a similar problem and the cause was the fan was sticking so the boiler wouldn't fire up or at least for no more than a few seconds. Luckily I didn't have to get a new fan, I simply put loads of WD on the fan and it works perfect now. I'm no expert though.

Yes the humming could well be the fan sticking as it gets hot.

WD40, will get it going, but is only really a temporary solution.

The WD40 will eventually attract more dust and crud to stick yo it.

Great, I'll have a look at the fan. Funnily enough it was making a whirring noise a few weeks ago and the boiler service man put some car engine oil on it.

Sponsored Links
So, I gave the fan a squirt of some oil and turned on the boiler. I worked fro longer than usual, probably 1/2 hour this time before it stopped. I could hear the hum of the fan motor. I gave the stationary blades a bit of a push with a screwdriver and I can feel that they are definitely sticky, I was able to move them but they are putting up too much resistance for the fan motor to spin them up.

Is it recommended to take the fan out and give it a clean?Or can I clean it in situ?

Thanks!

edit: I can definitely feel the difference between the hot and cold fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back