Baxi Solo 2 50 RS - Intermittent Cutout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have an issue with my Baxi boiler, with it cutting out intermittently. It's serviced annually, and has had 4 thermocouple replacements in the past 3 years - none of which have resolved the problem.

I can get the boiler to light, after a lot of coaxing. At first, the solenoid will ping and stop the burners after a few seconds, then they'll burn for a few seconds longer, and so on, until eventually they will burn for a few minutes, when it will stay alight.

However, if it is just on the pilot light for any more than say 8hrs (usually overnight) then it will cut out - the flow valve will pop the solenoid on startup, and I have to re-light the boiler again.

At the moment I am overcoming this by running the boiler all day on one on/off, and using the other two on/off's to fire it up for 20mins twice during the night.

The flame is also a bit orange now - used to be clean blue. It burns more cleanly once the burners have been on for a while, and the boiler warms up, it also bumps a lot but I know that's scale.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Needs a proper service I think.

Who has been servicing it?

How long does it take them?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys.

The service normally takes 3/4 of an hour, maybe an hour with the thermocouple fitting.

I've thought about getting another company to look at it - do you think I should to that before investing in a gas flow valve.

That's the bit that it felt like was going wrong - I've spent a lot of time loving the boiler back to life the past week... The boiler and I are more acquainted than my Wife!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back