Baxi Solo 2 40 RS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a a Baxi Solo 40 RS boiler that will not stay lit for more than a couple of minutes before it either cuts out all together, and I have to press the cut out switch and re-light the pilot, or it just goes off and doesn't re-light at all.

In the few minutes it is on the pump gets really hot, but I can't tell if thats actually working or not either!

Help!

Sponsored Links
You should be able to feel the pump working just by putting your hand on it & feeling the vibration. The other way is to remove the screw in the center of the pump ( you will get a bit of water from it but nothing to worry about ) & gently sticking a flat head screwdriver in the hole, if it rattles the screwdriver then it's working.

Does the boiler have to be lit in order for the pump to come on?

I have opened the screw at the front of the pump and it does seem to be spinning freely when I turn the screw back and forth.

I'll give it a go now to see if its running.

Cheers

The boiler doesn't have to be lit for the pump to run, you can have the boiler switched off ( the actual switch on the boiler ) but as long as the programmer is on & the thermostats are calling for heat then the pump will run.

Sorry, I'm thinking about another boiler, this one has a pump over run so you should have the boiler turned on for the pump to run.
& I haven't even started on the lager yet. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Does the heat move along the pipes? Could be Air in there (look for vents) or something could be blocked...

Blocked-pump-4-78k.jpg

I've tried unscrewing the screw at the front of the pump but it won't come out completely so I can get a screw driver inside, I did put the screwdriver in as much as I could and then put my ear to it and it was kinda vibrating... I'm not sure that thats enough to show its working though!

The boiler lights but only stays on for a matter of minutes although it has stop cutting out all together now.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Sounds like you've got a Potterton pump with the plastic screw in the pump (crap). If it's working now you've disturbed the pump it was probably jammed, if it happens again think about getting a new pump, preferably a Grundfos.

The pump is a Myson Compact Circulating Pump CP53 and its about the only thing in the house that gets hot at the minute!

I cant see any vents (not that I'd know what I was looking for anyway)

I had the system off for a few weeks while I decorated the bathroom and fitted a new rad in there, at first it was fine heating just the water but now it doesn't wanna know...

Lager sounds like the best solution to me right now!

No I'm in Old Swan...

I've got a mate of a mate coming to have a look at it on monday night, if he can't sort it I might give you a shout if ya fancy a foriegner!

I called british gas but they wanted £156 flat fee... sounds a bit steep to me so I thought I'd try and sort it myself.. easier said than done!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back