Baxi Solo 2 50RS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have recently encountered a problem with my boiler. For some apparent reason when the system calls for heat, the boiler lights up and then completely shuts down just after about a minute. This problem happened about a year ago and I reset the thermostat and the problem went away. After nearly a year it has returned.

I have no problem re-lighting the pilot, its just that the boiler shuts down after a minute. Could any one please advise to the possible solution?

Thank you.

Regards: EMtec

Sponsored Links
My first check would that the air pressure switch is not turning it off when it gets hot, next the temperature controls and last the PCB.

I assume that the pump is running! You did check that first didn't you?

Tony Glazier

Yes sounds like the pump, and the overheat is cutting out the pilot.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

The pump works fine, no problems there and this model does not have a pressure switch. Very unlikely its the pcb, for some apparent reason everyone goes straight to the pcb.

How do you know the pump "works fine"? An engineer would check it with a tacho.

Obvious question - is the boiler overheating? Is it the same on CH and HW? Feel the pipes, at the boiler and both sides of the pump. Not as good as measuring their temperature but should give an idea if you can't do that.

RS baxi does not have a pressure switch or a pcb so don`t even think along those lines. there is a good chance all you have is a dirty pilot causing a slight blockage enough gas is going through it to keep thermocouple hot when only the pilot is on but when main burner comes on it robs the pilot of gas causing the themocouple to cool an then drop pilot out

Hi Guys

The reason why I doubt very much its the pcb is because it does'nt have one, nor does it have a pressure switch. This boiler is a very simple model. Nor is it the pump as it works fine.

Those giving advice don't seem to know much about boilers do they????

Most likely problem is the overheat thermostat. If the pilot fails to ignite, most likely problem is a blocked injector or thermocouple needs replacing (but I would try injector first as thermocouples will last for many years).

I think those giving advice should learn abit about boilers before being the "no-it-all"!!!!!!!!!!.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Guys

Forgot to mention that I agree with you 100% "namsag". The overheat stat problem is more than likely as previously mentioned a slighlty blocked injector causing gas starvation when main burners ignites. Again very unlikey there is a problem with the thermocouple.

P.S. I do know what I am on about, but there are many that don't which I have just seen and these individulas give us a bad name and people uneccessary bills. CORGI registered.

MOD

please use the edit key

EMtec said:

Well you're the one stood in front of it....if it drops the pilot out at the same point after it has gone to burners, then either the overheat stat or boiler stat is out of calibration or the pumps not running. If you know this all why are you asking and also why don't you test continuity across the stats as it cuts out?

"being the "no-it-all"!!!!!!!!!!. "

Sadly all some of us can do is spell.

Do tell us how you know the "pump is fine", and why you haven't told us how?

Some thermocouples, by the way, have been known to fail in under a year.

well if you think you know it all, u should be able to sort it out without the help of people on this forum...... who use their own time to help people out.

what you have got to remember is that there are loads of different versions of the solo. and until your stood infront of it, its hard to remember which is which.

so instead of being so bloody rude and ungreatful, try listening to their advice properly, and you might have a chance of getting it sorted.......

or you could always call a CORGI out!!!!!!

Standing in front of a boiler I am sure that most of the professionals here would quickly work out the problem, after all thats our job.

The problem we have on a web site is that manufacturers keep the same name for popular models but that name covers a great variety of varients. There is one called a Eurocombi with about 11 different models spanning about 11 years!

I think of the Baxi Solo 2 as a boiler with an unreliable PCB in the bottom left hand corner and a fan.

Namsag, if you are familiar with all the Solo varients could you give us a quick run down, what we need to know is which ones have an APS, PCB or fan?

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back