Baxi Solo 2 80 PF appears 2b on but CH and HW not working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have this model boiler in my house heating six radiators and supplying hot water, it's about seven years old.

Just today it started making a little more noise than usual and was squeeling when it turned itself off.

At the moment, it appears to be on though perhaps a little louder than usual. The pump seems to be running, it vibrates, but the pipe above and below it are cold. The boiler doesn't seem to be hot either.

Any ideas what it could be? Clogged heat exchanger? Air in the system?

Thanks in advance

Clive

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is not hot then it is not firing.The squealing noise indicates a fault that requires a few more tests by a qualified engineer as I suspect(from your description)that the fault is fan related.

OK, so it could be the fan. Would that prevent it from functioning? There certainly appears to be plenty of flames in the window, it just isn't getting particularly warm though I must confess I'm not sure how warm it tends to get when it's on.

Could it be the pump? Even though it's whirring, perhaps it's not actually pumping water around the system?

I think the squeeling is from the boiler, it's hard to tell as I only heard it from a distance before the CH and HW went off completely.

Sponsored Links
what neons are on on the front of the boiler ?
if its firing up then it would get warm/hot even if pump wasn't circulating.

All lights are on as normal as they would be if it were working correctly.

Starting to think it might be the fan now, as you suggested, as it gets noisy and then switches itself off before heating up..

Is the fan easy to replace? I'm very handy normally but of course with boilers I'll leave to a heating engineer so I ask only as an estimate of how long I can expect to be charged for.

It's been a decent boiler up to this point, no trouble at all.

After your suggestion, I had a search for symptoms of a knackered fan and it seems to fit.

Thanks for your help, I will do.

I need to resurrect this thread unfortunately.

The fan has been replaced and now the squealing has gone and it runs without any noise.

However, the burner still appears to not fully light. The pilot is fine and the lights indicate 'burner on' but there is only a small flame (other than the pilot) in the burner.

I'd say it was the valve but I would imagine it would be more likely to do with the recent problem unless it's a coincidence.

Any ideas?

Clive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back