Baxi Solo 2 Boiler - Wont Fire up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. I'll set the scene, you can then all laugh for a while then hopefully i'll get some help.

Its my first house and have recently drained the heating system down to do some work in the bathroom. unfortunately I stupidly did not turn the boiler off :oops: The missus came home and ran the hot water! As you can imagine the boiler fired up, there was a shocking amount of pipes banging as the boiler boiled what was left in the pipes and then it all shut off! Now I cant get the boiler to re-ignite. Its like it wont even try to ignite. I have a manual and have tried to reset it. The boiler light is on but thats it. My plumber has had a look and changed the thermostat sensor and the ignition sensor thing and still no joy. He is coming back tonight with a new thermostat I believe that actually screws into the water pipe that leaves the boiler.

Obviously something went or blew when it over heated which is now not allowing it to re-ignite the pilot light but I cant figure it out. Is there a fuse or something obvious?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Novice facing a hefty and avoidable bill........

Sponsored Links
Can you test the overheat stat with a meter, turn power off, disconnect it -it should be closed circuit.

just press the reset on the overheat stat.

Edit.....forgot to say the easy way to test o/h is to remove the connection on it (left black wire i think) and push it onto the connector below the red wire....this loops it out....if pilot lights its your o/h blown. DON'T leave it like this (unless gravity fed)......it's a safey device. Call an expert

as powell has mentioned. has the overheat stat been reset.thats if you have a sealed system.could be though even on origional comissioning the overheat stat wasnt linked out on a gravity system.the manual overheat is a little cross shaped button near the pressure gauge.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up having to call out a heating engineer who replaced the PCB and all is now working…………..

However I would like your thoughts on this……..We have been charged £168+vat for a PCB + fitting on top. Now ok fine that’s the bill and we now have heating. BUT. The PCB that’s now in the boiler is older, filthier and looks far more knackered than my old one which he left with us.

Ok it works but have we paid full price for a NEW pcb and been given an old one off the back of his van that he had laying around? How much is a new one? My quick search on the web reckoned £120 for a genuine Baxi part! A new one! It looks like we have paid way over this for an old one! Who’s saying how long it will last? Can you get reconditioned ones? Even so I would expect a re-con one to be clean at least! And at a reduced rate.

I don’t know if I should challenge it before I pay the bill?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back