Baxi solo 2 Pf 50 - Burner fails intermittently help plse!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem with the above boiler, in that when it fires up after being off for a while it can sometimes get all the way through the sequence up to lighting the burner (i.e boiler, fan and pilot indicators lit, a pilot flame visible) but then not actually light the burner.

If left for some time it might decide to light.

Tends to be when the boiler hasn't fired up for a while. There is a quiet click in time with the pilot flickering, but can't determine exactly where from.

If it does fire all the way up it can run quite happily for hours, then later after being idle, it conks out...

Is this likely to be a relay issue on the PCB - the manual fault guide seems to suggest it is?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The engineer who looked at it yesterday thinks its the PCB and is fitting one tomorrow - should I be worried that this won't solve the problem!? Noting these are £150+

Get him to change pilot kit first if he ain't sure even if it doesn't work they are only a few quid & are a constant problem

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, i will discuss it with him.

I should have mentioned that if we turn the boiler off completely at the wall switch, then turn it on, we get about 10 seconds of 'buzzing' from the PCB area, before any action at all - if that makes a difference.

When he first looked at it he did look at the pilot area and i think cleaned it, but its certainly worth mentioning

Buzzing from the board on a Baxi Solo is usually a knackered Mid Position valve sending stray current down the switch live. Have that checked out. The PCB,s are a very , very common fault on this boiler.

Well the saga continues.

Engineer called to replace PCB on Wednesday. Was working when he left. By 11pm that night it had gone off again. Same sort of issue, wouldn't fire the main burner, it sometimes clicked on and then straight off. Buzzing noise which happened when starting from completely off (i.e. at the electrical switch on the wall) has gone though.

Another call...

Original engineer returned Thursday, poked about, found the thermostat switch had been installed 'back to front' by Wednesday's engineer and changed it about. Personally I couldn't see why that would be the cause. However it fired up. I did say is the Pilot injector etc ok, but he was quite non communicative...

It has run until this afternoon, and now it is back to the same old problem of main burner not lighting...

Awaiting 5th visit tomorrow, so any info I can give them as they seem a bit clueless, gratefully received!

thanks Corgigazza.

The problem seems to occurr when the boiler has not been on for a while (i.e previously reached temp, shut off normally, then is called back into service).

Today, it was running okay, then we went out for 4-5 hours. I didn't touch the heating, leaving it to run as before, however we have an unheated conservatory that i shut before going out, so the boiler would not have needed to run as often to reach required temprature.

The previous times it has done it have been when I have turned the heating down a bit when going out or at night and there has been a longer period of 'rest' for the boiler.

As this is our 5th night (in about:cool: without heating and two small children, i am getting desperate to get this fixed once and for all, especially before Christmas, so all ideas I can give to this engineer tomorrow, will be used!

if it helps, an electrical spark can be seen around the pilot, thru the viewing window. The pilot is definitely present and looks strong, but there is a little blue spark appearing quite frequently

May be faulty ignition electrode cable or pilot shroud has a tiny weld on that sometimes breaks and the pilot shroud falls to low as said before there is a pilot kit available

http://www.partscenter.co.uk/hrpc/default.html

423561.gif
pt no.423561

425642.gif
pt no. 425642

After an hour or so looking at it, the next stage is to replace the pilot as suggested above!

Engineer reckons the pilot is in the wrong place and not necessarily cancelling the call for the pilot.

It is also not lighting the burner properly (when it does it at all) as it lights one section which then tend to light from each other and not the pilot.

Hopefully a new pilot injector kit will now sort it!

Will let you know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back