Baxi Solo 2 PF 60 solenoid problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see that it's possible to replace the pilot solenoid on the gas valve for the Baxi 2 PF 60, but is it also possible to replace the main gas solenoid or does failure of that part mean replacing the complete gas valve?

It's the solenoid at the top right of this pic that's failing:

http://www.heating-parts.co.uk/media/STOCKIMG/00091B96.JPG

causing the main burner to flick on/off along with fast clicking from the solenoid. I don't feel any vibration from the PCB area so I think the relay is fine and it's just the solenoid that's the problem.

Do I need to have the complete gas valve replaced?

Thanks for any help.

Graham

Sponsored Links
If its avialable as a spare then its perfectly ok to change just the solenoid

I would not expect the problem to be the solenoid.

Furthermore it would normally be expected that a registered gas engineer would do any work on the gas or safety parts of the appliance.

Tony

Thanks for the comments.

Solenoid has failed completely now so no main burner. Turns out only the pilot solenoid is available separately so the complete gas valve will need replaced.

Could anyone recommend a gas safe engineer in Glasgow who would replace the valve if I get the part?

Sponsored Links
What have you done to test the solenoid?

Why do you want to get the part anyway?

Its normal for boiler engineers to get the parts.

Many parts suppliers will not sell gas parts to non registered people!

Tony

I've tested it as described in the "fault finding" chart from the fitting manual and it shows as faulty due to the resistance reading across the coil.

I can buy the part locally no problem so it seems reasonable to have it sitting here ready to be fitted rather than waste any more time and expense having the engineer order or collect it.

You could search for "DP" from this forum and contact him through this forum or at Ranoch Services and see what he says.

I do have to say that I will not usually fit any parts diagnosed by others unless I am paid in advance with a signed disclaimer as the faults are usually something else!

You say "it shows as faulty due to the resistance reading across the coil." Would you care to tell us exactly what that reading is?

Tony

tbh Agile, it will 99% be the gas valve. But if the customer is supplying, the labour goes up a touch to compensate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back