Baxi Solo 2PF Solenoid Pilot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Baxi will not fire up. Already had installed new fan and PCB. Latest engineer tells me that there is no power to the Solenoid Pilot and that this is probably the reason for failure to fire.
Fan is not kicking in. Engineer says that there is no power at the fan.
Am I misreading other blogs or is it right that the fan must kick in before the pilot solenoid will trigger and subsequently bring on the main burner.
My PF2 is knocking on a bit, am I just throwing good money after bad by replacing individual parts in an attempt to resolve the problem? :confused:

Sponsored Links
There won't be power on pilot solenoid

Fan runs first
Air pressure switch proves fan
pilot solenoid opens
Pilot ignition
Pilot proves
Main gas lights

Lightening...you certainly live up to your name!.. try reading the post...it says that I have used 2 engineers already.
I simply want to know if I am doing the right thing by accepting their (changeable) advice in respect of replacing part after part to resolve the problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks plumbplumb , I think that your advice supports my concerns that by authorising my engineer to buy/install a new pilot solenoid could just be throwing more money down the drain.

Can you see if the pilot is still lit?

Maybe the valve has not shut fully and there is a wee amount of gas maintaining the pilot

plumbplumb, I am fairly certain from my 'non qualified perspective' that the pilot is not alight. The pilot warning light is half alight which supports another theory that it could be the solenoid (electronics with DC feed only) ...but if there is no fan movement does that definitively mean no lighting?

If you dont know how boiler works you shouldnt be touching it, are you gas safe registred

Ach, ignore him Harko, most of the RGIs on here are 6 week wonders or CCC(career change chancers) - as they're known in the trade & they think a Pilot drives a B52....... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the insight Delta T2, I won't rise to it next time!
Situation is similar to a car ... I can drive one, recognise most of the parts, know when there is a problem and even rectify some of them, but I would never try to do an F1 service job!

The pilot warning light is half alight

That sheds more light.
Yes this indicates the PCB cannot read the pilot solenoid resistance correctly.
If you have a multimeter you can disconnect the wires and should get 1.5Kohms across the solenoid

plumbplumb, the multimeter bit is beyond me, but I was shoulder surfing when the engineer was doing this and I am sure that he said he was reading 0.9 . Does this mean new solenoid then?

plumbplumb, the multimeter bit is beyond me, but I was shoulder surfing when the engineer was doing this and I am sure that he said he was reading 0.9 . Does this mean new solenoid then?

If you have a look on Youtube mate, plenty of videos on how to use a multimeter to take an Ohms( Ω ) resistance reading. You can buy a cheap multimeter for under a fiver these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back