Baxi solo 2 - Running but Rattling

BT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help?

I have a Baxi Solo 2 which is approx 7 years old.
Over the passed couple of days the wall mounted boiler has developed a ratting noise when it is operating. Apart from the noise the central heating and water heating are working fine.
The rattling noise sounds like it may be the fan as it rotates. Is this likely?
Or am I completely off the mark?
It is likely that I will need to get a professional in to sort the problem, but I would like to have an idea of what the problem may be before doing so.

Any asssitance on this matter would be much appreciated.

Regards
BT

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. :)

If it is the fan, how dangerous is it to keep running the boiler.
With a couple of young kids in the house its not the best time of year to be without heating and it may take a couple of days to get someone in.

Cheers
BT

Turn boiler off .Take the front panel off remove the 2 screws holding the outer case on. You will now see the fan , spray some wd40 down the shaft from above an that should quieten it down. (there is a product called fan lub that works better). You will not disturb any seals or gas connections by doing this. It does not always work so you may need a new fan which take about 20 mins to fit and are around £100 to buy

Sponsored Links
Cheers for your comments the other day.

It turned out it was the rubber fan mounts that had rotted which was causing the fan to rattle. Sorted that problem.

All seemed well, but I now have a new problem. The boiler light and fan lights are on, but when the thermostat is switched on the boiler does not fire up. When the thermostat switches a humming noise can be heard from the boiler. It is as if the fan is recieving a supply but not working. Is this what can happen if the fan is goosed ? Or is it likely to be something else?

Your guidance would again be much appreciated.

Cheers
BT

namsag, my opinion only, but I don't think you should be encouraging anyone to even remove combustion chamber cover, let alone replacing the fan, this is part the flue system and safety aspect of the boiler, which can inevitably lead to other problems. I assume you are Corgi.

And before anyone gives me a hard time, my only concern is for their safety.

Gasman
Your concern is appreciated, but I dont intend to fix the problem myself.
I am just trying to understand what the problem may be before getting someone out.

Can you help?

Regards
BT

wd40 on the fan is not a good idea as it is a water repellant and forms a skin which can cause the fan to stick 3 in1 oil is better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back