baxi solo 2pf 40 - pilot light not coming on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Please help!

The above mentioned boiler packed up for no apparent reason yesterday. All was running fine in the morning, but when I came home from work, tried to put the hot water on and found it was running and sparking, but the pilot light won't catch.

I called an old mate who's worked on hundreds of boilers over the years, and we had a look. We're not Corgi registered or anything but I trust him enough to let him have a go, as he's worked on boilers for 25 years.

Anyway, we took out the pilot burner injector and gave it a blow through and stuck the hoover on it, but unfortunately no joy. As above, the spark keeps going but the pilot (and therefore burner) won't light.

It was interesting to notice that the door on the combustion chamber was silliconed at the top, does this suggest a bodge in the past?

On the panel, the boiler on, fan on, and pilot on lights are all lit. Not quite accurate but close!

We've come to the conclusion that perhaps we should replace the control valve, as there is gas at the pressure test screw - you can hear it coming out if this is loosened slightly, so this suggests that the gas may not be getting past this point and through the valve. Does that make sense?

Or are we going down the wrong tracks? Could it be the PCB?

Much as I'd like to be able to call out a corgi engineer, I am skint as could be - my mrs lost her job recently and we can barely pay the mortgage, and I'm getting quite heavily in debt, so don't really know what to do.

Can anyone offer any advice please? I'm near Bromley by the way.

Sponsored Links
If there's 240V at the GV then it's the GV. Any gas coming out of the pilot pipe when the injector is removed?

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I don't have the electrical equipment needed to test the GV (gas valve?)

We didn't check for gas flow from the pilot pipe when the injector was removed, would this be a logical next step? I'd need to have the boiler running to check for gas coming out of there though wouldn't I, whilst it's all open?

All I do know is that there wasn't any gas coming through the injector when we briefly tried to run it when it was opened up - there was no smell of gas at all.

Any gas coming out of the pilot pipe when the injector is removed?
Dont think these have a pilot pipe - manifold straight on the gas valve, the pilot solenoid may be the problem, it should be available as a seperate item.

Sponsored Links
the pilot solenoid may be the problem

Swap the solenoids over, if pilot light operates but main burner doesnt you have your answer.

Dave

Hi twgas, thanks to you as well.

I think you're right - the unit above the valve going into the combustion chamber would be what I'd call a manifold rather than a pipe (I use my car knowledge to figure out what I'd describe as a manifold).

I've not found any mention of a solenoid in the manual I have for the boiler, and there's nothing listed in the parts list either. Wouldn't a solenoid have something to do with the spark, rather than the gas injector?

My apologies if I'm being ignorant and wrong!

By the way - twgas, where in kent are you? How much would it cost for you to sort it?!!

Thanks dave,

Can someone tell me what the solenoid looks like? I don't know what this is or where specifically! As above though, the spark is happening fine.

i have one of these boilers.
ok first work on electric in a safe way.
pilot operator/solenoid is located under grey plastic cover to the right,one screw to undo and pull off.
pilot operator/solenoid is on the left (mine is red).
you really need to beg,steal or borrow a means to test for 230 volts on the 2 terminals.
or just exchange the operator/solenoid and see how it goes (not reccomended way of fixing things)you need to prise out the stainless steal retaining clip and pull steel cover off.fit in reversal.
you need to be quick to get part this morning as most gas spare shops close at midday.

thanks very much dave, i'll have a look in a mo and swap the two over, maybe that will help!

If not... what next?!!

thanks to you as well johnfox.

Good advice, I'm going to try this right now.

What exactly is the solenoid's job? what does it do?

If not, your gonna have to start some proper electrical checks. At the moment this just a crude way of diagosing a fault.

I've found the solenoid now (mine is black by the way).

I can't exchange the solenoid though, as I've only got the one that's there! Will try and figure out an old voltmeter I've just found...

Can you find a code on the valve. It may look like VR4700C 4014 or 4022

Dave (soggyweetabix) I've managed to remove the solenoid (round black thing with a white inner part) and the only numbers I can see are on the back of the part where the electrics plug in and these are 5441 and 001.

May not help!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back