Baxi Solo 2RS Noisy relay/solenoid??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a Baxi Solo 2 RS, for some time when the heating was on for the radiators, the bioler made a strange noise, like a relay or solenoid clicking in and out. though the heating stayed on, i knew trouble was looming. sure enough, only today, the boiler wont fire up at all now. only for hot water but not for heating the radiators. ive tried various combinations, turning the room thermostat higher, selecting 'on' or 'boost' on the wall mounted control panel, but nothing happens. except like i say, the hot water system works fine, when selected.
the pilot light remains lit as always. so i know its not that.
any help would be gratefully appreciated. thanks.mick

Sponsored Links
As you say the dhw works fine then it won't be a problem with the boiler. The boiler gets the same 'on' signal whether it is on for ch or hw.

Check any motorised valve/valves you may have. Sounds like the ch one needs a new head fitted as the microswitch has probably broken.

hi dave , thanks for your message.
as i speak the hot water / central heating timer has kicked in and the boiler is circulating some heat to the radiators albeit because, like you say, the boiler shares the same signal to switch on wether its for hot water or central heating. but if i isolate the boiler and switch the control panel to 'hot water off', leaving the central heating selected in the 'on' setting, the flame extinguishes. Your correct that a switch or vavle etc isnt actuating thus allowing the boiler to 'fire up' for central heating alone. but how do i identify the exact component that may be faulty. And is it housed in the bioler unit itself. again, any help would be really appreciated so i can hopefully conduct a safe repair my self.

mick

The motorised valves are often in your airing cupboard with the pump, but this is not written in stone.

You will see either 2 metal boxes (possibly plastic) with 2 pipes connected, or a metal or plastic box with 3 pipes connected.

If it is a 3 way then you will need to replace the head.

If you have 2 x 2 way then you will find 1 has a pipe going to the connection half way up the HW cyl and the other disappearing to the rads.

In your case the latter will be the faulty one.

With the head removed (assuming it is one with a removable head) check that the spindle will move freely.

Turn power to heating off and replace head, making sure to note down exactly where each wire goes before removing it from the wiring centre, or replace 1 wire at a time.

Sponsored Links
thanx again for the advice dave. am going to clear out the airing cupboard tomorrow and investigate following your instructions. let you know what i find eh?

many thanks again. mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back