baxi solo 3 overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
wonder if anyone can help.The problem i have is that my gas boiler switches itself off every 30-60 mins and the overheat light comes on.
Its a baxi solo 3 pfl 70.All was well untill recently when i turned off the water supply to my water tank and drained it.I done this because ive ripped my kitchen out and i wanted to cap the hot and cold water pipes.
I done this and then refilled my water tank and now when i put the heating or hot water on the boiler will run for a while 30-60 mins then overheat and shut down, when i switch of for 10 secs then back on it will once again run for 30-60 mins.
The water pump which is a grundfos ups 18-60 seems to be running fine although a bit noisy and it has been running even though the H/W and C/H are both off.
I know nothing about these things and im happy to get someone in to look at it but maybe its something stupid ive done.
Thanks for any help/advice.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an airlock. My advice would be to open all rads with someone on standby on each rad until it clears.then close all, it may take a few hours, it make take half an hour ;)

The water pump which is a grundfos ups 18-60 seems to be running fine although a bit noisy and it has been running even though the H/W and C/H are both off.

This should not happen, must be a wiring fault, ie pump permanently wired, be sure that is running "continuosly" and not on pump overrun, which will shut down after either a time delay or after acheiving below a certain water temperature, not 100% sure which way on this model.

wonder if anyone can help.The problem i have is that my gas boiler switches itself off every 30-60 mins and the overheat light comes on.
Its a baxi solo 3 pfl 70.All was well untill recently when i turned off the water supply to my water tank and drained it.I done this because ive ripped my kitchen out and i wanted to cap the hot and cold water pipes.
I done this and then refilled my water tank and now when i put the heating or hot water on the boiler will run for a while 30-60 mins then overheat and shut down, when i switch of for 10 secs then back on it will once again run for 30-60 mins.

Fault seems coincidental unless you drained your heating aswell, could be a poss pump fault if it has been running non stop, therefore it would be wearing twice as fast if that makes sense.

shorky said:

This should not happen, must be a wiring fault, ie pump permanently wired, be sure that is running "continuosly" and not on pump overrun, which will shut down after either a time delay or after acheiving below a certain water temperature, not 100% sure which way on this model.

Fault seems coincidental unless you drained your heating aswell, could be a poss pump fault if it has been running non stop, therefore it would be wearing twice as fast if that makes sense.

Great advice there.........unfortunately useless to you :rolleyes: it`s an airlock.

Sponsored Links
do as Bamber says for airlock. If you run boiler and then switch off at programmer can you here the pump continue after that boiler lights have gone off? Pump should run for approx 6 minutes after boiler has gone out. it this does not happen boiler will go straight to overheat.

If overrun not present then new pcb needed :cry:

hi,
thanks for the help, the pump certianly runs a lot longer than 6 mins and it gets very hot so it could be as suggested that it keeps going untill it cools down.It cant be a wiring fault because it was working fine untill i drained the tank and i have,nt touched any wires.
I didn,t drain the radiators the other day but i still i still bleed every radiator in the house looking for air and found a bit but not a lot.
i might drain the tank again today and refill, but like you say could be a pcb problem.
im going to call a corgi guy out tomorrow if i don't have any joy today.
thanks for your help and info guys

TIP: When refilling the system open the inlet valve partially to allow a slow water flow. This helps let the air rise to the vent.
Takes longer, but hey, time is what you have got ;)

All was well untill recently when i turned off the water supply to my water tank and drained it.I done this because ive ripped my kitchen out and i wanted to cap the hot and cold water pipes.

Bambergas, looking at the above wording, i read it that the OP had only drained his domestics, maybe it's just me and I read it wrong, then an air lock in the heating wouldn't happen :rolleyes:

If you remove pump live from boiler and make safe, does pump stop? If so points to pcb again as pump is controlled by boiler pcb ;)

All was well untill recently when i turned off the water supply to my water tank and drained it.I done this because ive ripped my kitchen out and i wanted to cap the hot and cold water pipes.

That is all.

If the pump is running too hot then its not pumping as it gets cooled by the fluid.

It sounds as if you have an airlock but it may be something as simple as you have not vented the pump!!! The clue to this is you said it was noisy!

Undo the silver axial screw or see the FAQ section on this site.

Tony

When you bled rads did you get air and water out upstairs? if not check f&e is full.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back