Baxi Solo PFL 30 starts, stops, starts, stops..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post on the forum so please be gentle.

Moved into a house a few months ago with said boiler. From cold it fires up fine and runs until the rads or HW is up to temperature, shuts off for a bit, then it goes into start/stop cycle every few seconds sometimes for up to a minute. Eventually stays on for a while, shuts off, then the cycling again.

Possibly related is that there is a sound like air going through the pump upstairs, again only when it is up to temperature.

Any ideas what the likely cause is?

Sponsored Links
On what basis have you moved in? Are you a tenant?

Difficult to guess why it is doing this short cycling.

The system flow needs checking, but it might be the PCB at fault. Not that reliable on that model.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I own the house so no landlord to bother about it.

Interestingly, I've turned the boiler stat down which was on the max (6) down to 3 and while it still cycles occasionally it seems quite a bit better. I suspect it hasn't been serviced in a while so I think I'll get an engineer to have look at it.

If there is a PCB problem is it a DIY job to change?

I always recommend that anyone buying a property gets the heating system checked for safety, serviced and instruction on how to best use it.

If it were the PCB at fault that should only be changed after everything else has been properly checked.

Tony

Sponsored Links
On the contrary, Baxi Solo is a good solid boiler. Have several clients with this boiler. Have changed a few fans, an odd pcb, but mostly a hardy boiler

I have a similar problem with a Baxi Solo 3 system...I've had 2 engineers come out to it now and still not working correctly when they say 'yep all done mate'.
I have had the 3-port motorised valve replaced, room thermostat and programmer and apparently boiler serviced.
It works fine for 30 mins to an hour and all radiators nice and hot and so is the hot water. After this period the boiler stops then has the 'Boiler On' light and 'Pilot' light both on. Boiler then fires up after 10 mins or so can sometimes be longer, but now no heat through the radiators no matter how long I leave it doing this on-off cycle. Still have plenty of hot water though. If I switch it off completely at the programmer and switch it on after a few hours it follows the same pattern of rads hot, system off, rads not hot etc etc.

The pump seems to be running and can hear and feel the difference when I test the 1, 2 3 settings, the 3-port valve finds the correct position when changing the programmer settings and the room stat is set to between 18-20°C but heating can't have met that demand as it is no more than 10°C ...can almost see your breath its cold...any ideas anyone? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back