Baxi solo WM 40/4 PF - termostat cuts off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My boilers runs for a while and then safety button pops out (the one on the left side of the termostat). When I set termostat to LOW it works fine, only when it's set between 1-max this things happen. I've also noticed that boiler is getting very hot quite quickly and today the flame changed from blue to slightly red.

The plumber on the phone said it might be heat exchanger. The pump is set to 3 (which is max), so I can't increase the flow.

We had this problem before but someone did something with a pressure switch and then it was fine for about a day, that's why I'm not sure if it's a heat exchanger, because it wouldn't work even then I believe.

This topic is continuation from this one //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41597

Sponsored Links
Souns like a Solo 2 u may have a faulty thermostat.? check the position of the stat ( on the flow out of boiler on right) Turn power off before looking. u may have a ciculation problem. what moterised valves have u got . may have a manual by-pass open alot.is the system tank fed or sealed system. (have u got a filling loop & pressure gauge

Did it EVER work? Should eliminate bypass.

When on 1, do the rads all heat up, or just a couple?
Even on 1 your rads should get hot.
Circulation problem if heat's not getting around , so dud pump or blockage. Symptoms are much the same.

ChrisR said:
Did it EVER work? Should eliminate bypass.
Yes it worked before all other problems started (in the second topic more info)

ChrisR said:
When on 1, do the rads all heat up, or just a couple?
Even on 1 your rads should get hot.
I think only 1 out of 5 is slighlty colder (but I think it was always like that)

ChrisR said:
Circulation problem if heat's not getting around , so dud pump or blockage. Symptoms are much the same.
The pump is set to 3 so It can't increase the flow. If there is a blockage does it mean changing the whole water in the system?

Sponsored Links
bab said:
Souns like a Solo 2 u may have a faulty thermostat.? check the position of the stat ( on the flow out of boiler on right) Turn power off before looking.
Sorry what the "stat" is?

bab said:
what moterised valves have u got
Danfoss HS3 3-Port Valve 22mm (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=100126&ts=34559&id=30424)
The valve was replaced about a month ago, is it possible that it's incorectly connected? Because the plumber that was doing that said something that previously is was not corrected properly so he fixed it (but it was working for almost 2 years before)

bab said:
may have a manual by-pass open alot.
Not sure what this is as well

bab said:
is the system tank fed or sealed system.
There is a tank on the loft, I checked yesterday there is a water in a tank.

bab said:
(have u got a filling loop & pressure gauge
sorry don't know this one as well.

Get the next fitter to check/change the plastic 90 degree bend on the top of the air pressure switch, these have a tendancy to split.

Unfortunately the water has been muddied by all these (unnecessary?) extra works, though my hunch on the overheating would be a pumping problem (lack of water, blockage, or the pump itself)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back