Baxi WM 38/3RS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My son's flat has a Baxi 38/3RS gas boiler for CH & HW. The CH is not working (rads not heating) I'm also not sure how well the HW is working either. Anyway, the pilot is lit OK and flames up when stat is turned up but the flame dies back to the pilot after a minute or two. While boiler is switched on there is a pump located inside and above the boiler which has a loud squealing noise coming from it. Is it likely to be the pump that's causing the CH not to work? What is involved in replacing the pump and could I do it? I'm an ex- spark not a plumber.
The info on the pump is: Grundfos type UPS 15-60 130.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
if pump is scheeching it could be a lack of water - suspect empty f&e tank (stuck ball valve) or blocked cold feed.

pumps often recover after a good screech but the longer its run without water the less likely it is to recover.

of course it could be just nakkered!!!

twgas
Assuming pump knackered what's involved in replacing it? would water need drained down, system bled etc?

Thanks, Steve

Sponsored Links
Pump should have an isolating valve either side of it. IF they work, and do not leak when turned off, then it will not need the system draining down.

If they are the slotted screwdriver type of isolating valve, especially if a few years old, then there is probably about an 80/90% chance they will leak when turned :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back