baxi wm 51/3rs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I have the baxi wm 51/3rs and there is a smell of gas coming from the flue, not the boiler, I had a gas fitter out and he said it smelt of gas because the bricks around the flue needed repointing which I did but it still smells strongly of gas when it is fired up, any thoughts please? cheers, derek

Sponsored Links
You will need to get a gas safe engineer ASAP to check out, it may not be burning correctly, or gas valve letting by. You will need to shut down boiler, turn gas off at the meter and don't use it till the boiler is checked and safe to use.

Daniel.

hi, I have the baxi wm 51/3rs and there is a smell of gas coming from the flue, not the boiler, I had a gas fitter out and he said it smelt of gas because the bricks around the flue needed repointing which I did but it still smells strongly of gas when it is fired up, any thoughts please? cheers, derek

Was he REALLY a RGI, or was he drunk, or on drugs?

hi, sorry for delay, yes he is a gas board trained gas fitter.
the boiler is on an outside wall of an integral garage near to a door frame. when the fitter came he found a leak in one of the pipe junctions in the boiler and fixed it but for me outside it still smelt of gas and he said this was because the bricks around the flu had lost their mortar and the cavity wall by the door frame also needed filling, I have fixed all this. would air leaking into the flue from these sources cause some of the gas not to ignite and be blown out of the flue? the water heating and central heating does seem to work well anyway. I am getting a different fitter out tomorrow, cheers, derek

Sponsored Links
new fitter arrived, diagnosed faulty valve, replaced it, no smell of gas, job done, cheers, derek

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back