Bay Window - What to use to protect stone from weather

SFK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,
I have a Bay Window that seems to made from a Soft (sand?) stone.
BayWindow 1.jpg
This stone on the outside surface seems to have a layer of fine mortar covering it. This mortar hides most of the small joints between the stone blocks. In places this layer of fine mortar is cracked and slightly blistered from the stone behind (top part of the closeup image).
BayWindow 2.jpg
The Bay Window was covered in a soft rubbery masonry paint which I have almost finished removing (it is still on the poles). I removed it because it was a mm or so thick and was hiding all the details. It was also trapping all the water in the stone, and when I peeled it off many or the backs of the peelings had a black mold on it.

The top projection of the Bay Window is one brick wide and flat (inside this there is a flat lead roof) and this is collecting standing water which is causing the stone to delaminate and lichen to grow.

So my questions are
1) How do I stop water collecting on the top projection of the Bay Window?
> I was thinking of using a brick wide length of lead draped over the bricks.

2) How do I protect the stone work, stopping water penetration and growth, but also allowing it to breath.
> I was thinking of using a brick water-repellent. If so which should I use?

3) What mortar mix do I use re-fill the two gaps between the blocks (I was not wanting to use silcone)? (bottom part of the closeup image)
> I was thinking using 1 Lime:1Cement:4 builders sand

With thanks, SFK

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back