bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just had a new bay window built as the old one had damp problems, they have cut back the patio slabs and dug down for new footings, the new wall goes down lower than the patio and there is only a very small gap between the patio slabs and the new wall is this correct? all around the conservatory and along the back of the rest of the house is a gap quite a lot bigger and with small stones in the gap, it is not finished, the roofer and windows are coming on Monday so any suggestions would be much appreciated before then as i am unsure if this is wrong or not and would want to query it with them before anymore work is done.

Sponsored Links
so any suggestions would be much appreciated before then as i am unsure if this is wrong or not and would want to query it with them before anymore work is done.
Yes. Did you apply for Building control approval? Did you notify?

thanks for your reply, not sure i understand what you mean by did i notify, the company said i didn't need any planning permission for it if that is what you mean?

thanks for your reply, not sure i understand what you mean by did i notify, the company said i didn't need any planning permission for it if that is what you mean?
Not PP but 'Building Control' (local authority) approval. These are controlled works (bays are mini extensions) and are subject to the same rules as full sized ones.

Sponsored Links
Planning permission (can I build it) and Building Regs (how do I build it) are very different animals. If you are reconstructing your bay window you almost certainly won't need planning permission but you should have notified your councils' Building Control section (or engaged a private building control person) since you're making structural alterations and alterations to a thermal element.

But you haven't done any of that. And sadly it is your responsibility (as the home owner) to ensure that notifiable works are notified. You may think that, as you've engaged professionals to do the job it is their responsibility. Wrong.

Probable reason for the wide gap and shingle bed between rest of house and patio will be that the DPC in the wall is at or below patio level- the shingle will be there to prevent moisture from the patio penetrating the walls, there may even be a French drain setup. If your builders have put DPC in your new bay 150mm above ground level (and linked it to the existing DPC) then you shouldn't have any problems. If they haven't put DPC in (or they have but it is near ground level) then you may get damp problems in that wall in the future

And have they built a cavity wall for the bay or just a half brick wall? Do your bays extend to the 1st floor as well? How deep did they dig the foundations (I've just had a similar job done. BCO wanted ideally 700mm deep but, since he is a sensible chap, included the caveat 'don't go below the existing house foundations- the place is 200 years old and there's no point undermining the existing walls in clay like this. If you hit the bottom soldier course, stop and give me a ring'. Nice chap.

Hi thank you again for your answer, they told me that i did'nt need to do any notifications as it was covered by something that i cant remember off hand what it was called, it is only ground floor, they did however dig very deep foundations on the paperwork it says 1000 and i would say it was around that and have built a cavity wall and have insulated it, to be fair they have done a very nice job the builder was very meticulous with all of it and has worked for the window company for 12 years and he only does building work and the company does have a very good reputation in the area, i haven't queried it with them yet as he didn't finish until 5pm yesterday and i only saw what i think maybe a problem then.

they have their own surveyor who has been out 4 times in 3 days of building this so hopefully what im worrying about could be just that i dont like how it looks with the patio being so close. they are back tomorrow so i will question it then.

thank you again for your help in this.

Hi thank you again for your answer, they told me that i did'nt need to do any notifications as it was covered by something that i cant remember
Yes, it's called the "we are a window fitting company and are clueless about building regulations" rule.
If you mean FENSA then this will only deal with the window and not the structure.

sadly it is your responsibility (as the home owner) to ensure that notifiable works are notified. You may think that, as you've engaged professionals to do the job it is their responsibility. Wrong.
The window company surveyor has a professional obligation to inform the homeowner of the regulations. If he is aware of them of course.

thanks again will talk to them in the morning, will let you know how i get on if you like?

thanks again will talk to them in the morning, will let you know how i get on if you like?
I don't see much point. You either get it approved retrospectively or forget about it. It will only be relevant if you decide to sell in any case.
If you want to make it 'lawful' then apply to the council for retrospective approval. You will likely need to expose the foundations with a trial pit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back