bay windows with serious damp problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, many thanks in advance for your help.
I would like to have an idea of the cost of restoring the bay. I would like the bay to eventually look like the one on the right (see photo)
There is damp all over the inside of the top bay along the vertical column and also above the ground floor bay window.
My knowledge of damp and its causes is null... would anyone be able to give me some ideas of the costs? what's am I required to do?
may thanks, P

Sponsored Links
I can't give much advice on the cost of restoring but the first thing that springs to mind is that, as the problem is so localised , the corner joint of the guttering is/was leaking. If it hasn't been repaired, then that is your number 1 priority before undertaking any repair work.

yes, the gutter seems to be the problem and needs cleaning/repairing. But regarding repairing the bay. Will I be need to take it get it take apart and rebuild? rgds, p

Providing the damage isn't too bad you might be able to get away with repairing it with something like sandstone repair mortar, but for a good quality finish I would recommend getting a pro to do it.

There does appear to be a some cracking which suggests replacement could be required, unless it's just the paint that's cracked.

As said, I don't know that much about repairing it but I imagine the price will be pretty high in and around London. :(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back