Replacing a 1st floor bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to an earlier post regards a property we're interested in purchasing (cladding question - thanks Moz) should have also asked for opinions on how difficult/expensive is it to replacing a 70s upvc bay with a replica of the orignal sash (it's a 1st floor window, groundfloor thankfully left alone). Would involve rebuilding the bay, including decorative columns and the sash windows.

some photos can be seen here comparing the bay with one nearby that is original.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/2838331

any view appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Depends where in the country you are but the timber box sash windows(being that theres 4) alone would set you back 2-3 grand then then theres the brickwork etc.
If i had to guess i reckon around 5 grand,the people that commited that crime should be tarred and feathered!!!!!!!

to get a window looking like the original one i reckon you'd be looking at closer to £10k. there is a fair amount of bespoke woodwork that's going to be have to be done.

thanks chaps. Your replies confirmed my thoughts. I'll be getting a few quotes of course and should we proceed will let you know how we get on.

Crime indeed and as for the cladding...!

Sponsored Links
Nowhere near 10K - more like 2-3k. Or go to Polski and it'll be a few hundred.

joe

your having a laugh the windows will cost more than that and to restore it properly you actually need 8 for top and bottom I doubt you''ll get much change from £7000 for them alone (sprung sashes)then theres the mullions and associated works.I would expect something close to 10K too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back