Replacing tiles around bay windows with external insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in a 1934 semi-detached house with bay windows (5 windows per bay). The 1st floor bay wall is single-skinned, presumably to reduce the weight on the window opening below.

Below is a photo of a similar property from the internet. Unfortunately I have pebble-dashing rather than bare brick.
bay-windows-94.jpg

Anyway, my question is whether I can remove the hanging tiles and replace with a type of external insulation? Has anybody done this? Can anyone recommend a suitable product that could be fitted to the curve of a bay?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I live in a 1934 semi-detached house with bay windows (5 windows per bay). The 1st floor bay wall is single-skinned, presumably to reduce the weight on the window opening below.

Below is a photo of a similar property from the internet. Unfortunately I have pebble-dashing rather than bare brick.
View attachment 288472

Can anyone recommend a suitable product that could be fitted to the curve of a bay?
Modern (coloured) polymer render.

I'd say it would be easier to do it from the inside?

Take the skirting and plaster off, then attach 50mm celotex and plasterboard, refit skirting.

You could do the whole wall, and not just the bay whilst you are at it.

Lot easier than working at height imo, and DIYable

Sponsored Links
Apart from looking like a frankenbay, what will happen to the cill if externally insulated?

Insulate with the frame, and across the inner face.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back