Bay window external tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I have a 1930's house which has to curved bay windows to the front. Both of which are double glazed.
The external wall has been pebble dashed. And painted over with exterior paint.
I am thinking of removing the pebble dash from the wall and replacing it with batten and tiles.
The reason for this is that the bedroom is getting damp on the bay wall and I think the pebble dash is the cause and either leaking or trapping the water.

I have a couple of questions firstly can I fit the battens directly to the wall. The other is should I felt it too.

Sponsored Links
First thing to do is find out if there is brickwork behind the render, between the bay window I mean it could be studwork.

I think it is brick as it is a single skin wall. I say this because I had a look when the windows was fitted.

Do not waste your time and money, I had the same problem in my 30's house. Your damp problem is caused INTERNALLY by condensation forming on the upstairs bay wall because it is only a single brick thick.

To cure your problem you must thermal line the upstairs bay I would use 2" thermal plasterboard, remove the floorboards n do beneath them too. It is highly likely that you will need to extend the window boards too.

Sponsored Links
DIYedboy did this solve the problem. Sorry for such a late reply.
I will have to replace the window boards. Will have to look at that though as they are plastic and not sure how they are fitted

Hi all, please help. I have a 1930's house with 2 bay windows, one above the other. i am currently in the process of hacking off the external render to re-plaster and replace the bay windows. There is currently tiling on stud work between the bay windows and i wanted to know: - 1. Can I remove the tiles completely to replace with render? 2. How is this done? Do I remove the stud-work and brick up? Or use wire/mesh and plaster over? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance, Neil.

I think the downstairs window frame carries the weight of the studwork and upper window. This means that if the downstairs window frame is replaced it must have vertical steel work within its frame to carry the weight. Because of this I don't think bricking up the gap is a good idea.
I guess that once the tiles are removed the gaps in the studwork should be filled with insulation foam. Then a breather membrane then stainless mesh then your render. One point I think should be thought about is the seal at the top and bottom of your render to stop water getting in - mini lead flashing?
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back