BBU fires for a min or two, then cuts off, any idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive gone through the fault finding page and it points to "system operating correctly". Obviously its not.....the boiler is a Glow worm BBU 45/4.
All help appreciated, cheers, Ant

Sponsored Links
Ive gone through the fault finding page and it points to "system operating correctly". Obviously its not.....the boiler is a Glow worm BBU 45/4.

More info needed. I would guess you have a fully pumped system and pump failed. Or gravity, hot water satisfied and pump or anti gravity circulation valve fault

Is that you, Glazier?

More info needed. I would guess you have a fully pumped system and pump failed. Or gravity, hot water satisfied and pump or anti gravity circulation valve fault

Is that you, Glazier?

Cheers for the quick reply, it's a fully pumped system (y plan). I initially thought it was the pump (boiler kettling and cutting out). But changed that and still no joy.

Cheers for the quick reply, it's a fully pumped system (y plan). I initially thought it was the pump (boiler kettling and cutting out). But changed that and still no joy.[/quote]

Blocked cold feed (at point of connection to system)

Sponsored Links

Cheers for the quick reply, it's a fully pumped system (y plan). I initially thought it was the pump (boiler kettling and cutting out). But changed that and still no joy.

Blocked cold feed (at point of connection to system)[/quote]

I opened the manual vent next to the 3 port valve and water overflowed out, I also opened pump valves whilst it was out and same think so there seems to be water in system. Cheers again

I opened the manual vent next to the 3 port valve and water overflowed out, I also opened pump valves whilst it was out and same think so there seems to be water in system. Cheers again[/quote]

With respect, I didn't say there was no water.

A blockage at the cold feed junctio can develop into a restriction of the flow. Causing no circulation, noise and boiler overheting, then cutting off.

Try the old magnet trick

What do you mean by cuts off ? pilot out etc

Tony, why do you call yourself "Gas Safe Tony" when you dont seem to have the experience expected of a Gas Safe registered engineer and dont post in the CC part of the site which is only available to Gas Safe accredited people?

Tony

I opened the manual vent next to the 3 port valve and water overflowed out, I also opened pump valves whilst it was out and same think so there seems to be water in system. Cheers again

With respect, I didn't say there was no water.

A blockage at the cold feed junctio can develop into a restriction of the flow. Causing no circulation, noise and boiler overheting, then cutting off.

Try the old magnet trick[/quote]

Oh you mean at the aerjec will try that, I doubt its that but you never know.

Try the old magnet trick[/quote]

Oh you mean at the aerjec will try that, I doubt its that but you never know.[/quote]

Actually, most of us DO know it is one of the most common causes.

Tony, why do you call yourself "Gas Safe Tony" when you dont seem to have the experience expected of a Gas Safe registered engineer and dont post in the CC part of the site which is only available to Gas Safe accredited people?

Tony

I havent posted there because I've only signed up on this site today, and secondly I'm having issues with this particular boiler. I'm also OFTEC registered, so I assure you I have experience. It was late this evening when i arrived at the job and i replaced the pump with a second hand one to quickly illiminate a problem. Also i didnt want to strip down a fire to get to a BBU at 7pm at night especially when it's cold and the dear old lady would freeze.. My first plan tomorrow is to phone up the manufacturers and diagnose the boiler fault over the phone with them, then repair it. I was hoping somebody would of already had the same problem so Id have an idea, thanks for our criticism by the way.

We are not allowed to give gas related advice on this forum! Thats what the CC is for!

It does not instill much confidence if you cannot diagnose a simple fault on a very basic boiler and have to end up asking the manufacturers.

Tony

Also i didnt want to strip down a fire to get to a BBU at 7pm at night especially when it's cold and the dear old lady would freeze.. My first plan tomorrow is to phone up the manufacturers and diagnose the boiler fault over the phone with them, then repair it.

So rather than look at the boiler you have left the lady with no heating apart from the firefront?

How do you charge for these multiple visits and changing parts without having diagnosed that they are even at fault?

Tony

We are not allowed to give gas related advice on this forum! Thats what the CC is for!

It does not instill much confidence if you cannot diagnose a simple fault on a very basic boiler and have to end up asking the manufacturers.

Tony

I haven't tried to diagnosed anything yet? I'm yet to look at the boiler, I was merely seeing if the fault was common or not.

And thank you for updating me on forum rules.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back