Glow-worm BBU 45/4 Backboiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a glow-worm BBU45/4 back boiler, which is about 4 years old. It's just been serviced.

It appears to have developed a fault, with both hot water or central heating.

The bioler fires up, runs for a minute or so, then cuts out. Comes back on about 15 mins later and does the same thing. Hence, no hot water or central heating.

Any ideas, other than "It's broken"?!?

Sponsored Links
check there is water in f&e tank, if ok check for air bleeds near cylinder, then check pump.

We've got a glow-worm BBU45/4 back boiler, which is about 4 years old. It's just been serviced.

It appears to have developed a fault, with both hot water or central heating.

The bioler fires up, runs for a minute or so, then cuts out. Comes back on about 15 mins later and does the same thing. Hence, no hot water or central heating.

Any ideas, other than "It's broken"?!?

Was it working before it was serviced? if it was phone the person who serviced it back

Has the service guy left the boiler stat only 'just on' rather than turned up to about 4?

Is there any slight warmth in the rads at all?

Sponsored Links
Has the service guy left the boiler stat only 'just on' rather than turned up to about 4?

Is there any slight warmth in the rads at all?

Yes, there is slight warmth. Feels about room temp, rather than cold.
It was serviced 2 weeks back and worked fine after that. It was 2 nights ago we heard a bang.

A service guy came yesterday and said the mains lead had been trapped when the boiler was put back together and he thought that may be the problem. After he moved it, we turned the boiler on again and it worked for a bit. He checked the rads and as they were getting slightly warm, we thought it was sorted. But after he went, we realised that it was only on for a few mins, then turned itself off for about 15 to 20 mins.

I've checked the header tank, and thats fine.
I've checked the room stat and thats fine.
I'm not sure where the boiler stat is (mentioned above).

Could it be the thermocouple?

If it's only 4 years old then it wont have a thermocouple, look under the fire when the boiler is on if it has a green LED lit then it has electronic ignition.

Boiler stat will be visible once the cover is removed from under the fire front.

Boiler stat will be visible once the cover is removed from under the fire front.

I think I've found it. It has a knob, and a green light when the burner is going.

It was set OK. The knob does appear to be loose and not particularly positive, although it does stop at both extents.

However, on it's own, the boiler has fired up and ran long enough to get the rads hot. The overflow from the header tank in the loft started dripping. The boiler has now turned it's self back off again and has returned to going on every 20 mins or so. The rads have cooled down as well.

Could this be an air lock, with the boiler turning itself off because the water isn't pumping round?

Water in all rads ??

If wire was trapped then damage could have been done to electronics!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back