Be careful with your recruitment adverts

Sponsored Links
I had a conversation with a prison officer last night, she was telling me that the cons used to sit on a red seat at visiting times, whereas visitors would sit on green seats.

Yep, you guessed it, somebody complained of discrimination, and the seats are all the same colour now.

FFS :evil:

This country is on it's last legs!

"The Equality and Human Rights Commission added: 'This is in no way in breach of any discrimination law.

'Mrs Mamo should consider very unreliable any advice that she may have received implying that this aspect of her advert was discriminatory.'
Yesterday the Department for Work and Pensions said it could not comment on the conversation Mrs Mamo had with the member of staff at Thetford.
However, a spokesman insisted her original advert had run on the Jobcentre Plus website and on computer terminals in branches.

She added: 'Reliability is important to employers and we welcome ads seeking reliable applicants.'
"

So it's just a one-off idiot in a JobCentre office getting something wrong.

I recall a job centre, reporting an employer to the race discrimination people.
so they took it to court, the outcome was in favour of the employer.

Sponsored Links
There is a clause that allows advertisement for certain ethnic groups, as long as it is relevant to the post. For example, an Indian restaurant may advertise for Indian staff.

However, it is not allowed to advertise certain age groups. For example, in my profession we do not employ people under 18, due to licensing laws (people under 18 selling alcohol must be supervised by someone over 18, makes it very frustrating, we got better things to do). But we cant say in our adverts "over 18s only". Its ridiculous. Then we have to make up a reason for rejecting their application which does not revolve around their age!

(We do sometimes take them on under 18, but only in larger stores where they would do warehouse and shop floor duties only. In small stores it simply isnt practical, where there may only be 2 staff on at a time)

So I should remove my advert from the newsagent's window that states

'No blacks,
No Irish,
No dogs'

The most shocking thing is that in this day and age, they were trying to recruit someone reliable for £5.80 an hour :eek:

My might as well work for nothing.

There is a clause that allows advertisement for certain ethnic groups, as long as it is relevant to the post. For example, an Indian restaurant may advertise for Indian staff.

I never knew that! TBH it's hard to prove discrimination unless it's such an obvious impediment that it would vastly reduce your effectiveness in the job anyway...

As a schoolboy I worked in a few different shops owned by the same Indian family - the pay was rubbish but it was a laugh as they never expected much out of me. The manager of one of the shops once told me that in the Indian culture you usually end up hiring your nephews, so you basically give them pocket money and don't expect much in return.

What gets me is that discrimination has taken on a whole new meaning in recent years for a minority of people. For example, I would not be able to get a job as a lecturer of English Literature because 1) I have no interest in English literature 2) I have read very little English literature 3) I am simply not qualified by experience or certificate. I am simply not qualified or competent.

And yet some people claim discrimination when they lose out to someone better qualified, better experienced and better suited to a job.

I have a physical impediment - I am about 6 inches too tall and 6 stone too heavy to be a Formula One driver. Oh, and my racing experience is limited to a few afternoons doing go-karts and the occasional traffic light grand prix on the commute home.

So should I apply for a job at one of the big teams and then cry discrimination when they say "Sorry, you're too big to fit in the car, too heavy to return a decent lap and you can't drive for toffee"?!?! :eek:

Daily Mail... so it must be bull-s**t:
There is that. :confused:

Donk, I'm pretty sure they'll have a very knowledgeable HR function so they're unlikely to fall foul of your cunning plan! I'd suggest the rejection may be skewed ever so slightly more toward your 'experience'......
my racing experience is limited to a few afternoons doing go-karts and the occasional traffic light grand prix on the commute home.
However a job advert reading 'No big gits, no fat gits' would be much more entertaining! :D

I recall a job centre, reporting an employer to the race discrimination people.
so they took it to court, the outcome was in favour of the employer.

the stipulation was muslims need not apply

deemed as sectarion not racist in law :!:

So should I apply for a job at one of the big teams and then cry discrimination when they say "Sorry, you're too big to fit in the car, too heavy to return a decent lap and you can't drive for toffee"?!?! :eek:
Someone applied (and got the job) at our place, when it came to asking her to stand at a checkout for 4 hours, she took great offence to this. Turned out, she has an implant in her back, she has a condition which prevents her from being able to stand for a long time, and lift heavy loads.

So WTF did she think a shop assistant would be doing when she applied for the job? Serving customers? Stacking shevles?

She's been on sick for 6 months.

Sorry, but these people deserve all they get (excluding ANY compo)

Someone applied (and got the job) at our place, when it came to asking her to stand at a checkout for 4 hours, she took great offence to this. Turned out, she has an implant in her back, she has a condition which prevents her from being able to stand for a long time, and lift heavy loads.

So WTF did she think a shop assistant would be doing when she applied for the job? Serving customers? Stacking shevles?

She's been on sick for 6 months.

Sorry, but these people deserve all they get (excluding ANY compo)
To reflect your position Steve.... WTF were you/your Manager/HR team doing when you recruited her? Surely when recruiting you might think it necessary to explain the role and what it entails?

There are nice things about the coop... like it's the same as it was when it started out but that, as you seem to be learning, has its frustrations!

Sponsored Links
Back