Be gentle with me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I am new on here and need some advise.
My home is old wires from ages ago and old fuse box, with fuse wire.
I am from Poland and have sum friends can do job for me cheap. What do I neeed for corect laws.

Sponsored Links
The work should be done in accordance with BS7671 Requirements for Electrical Installations. It's a 400-page book. You would need to notify your local council before starting and confirm with them their rules for DIY electrcial work, and pay a fee. Then apply the relevant parts of BS7671 for the work carried out. It will probably need fully tested and certified when completed.

Sponsored Links
It good that you ask. In the UK we have a ring main system and for many years did not follow the European love of the RCD. We have now adopted the RCD for all sockets and as a result nearly all old houses will not comply with new regulations.

Our regulations say every time the occupant changes or every 10 years which ever is shorter the house should be tested. We call it a periodic inspection report (PIR) in practice not often done. This report will have loads of faults listed and some will be very minor and no real danger as some could be major. To help the faults are given a code 1 to 4. Any code 1 items need doing quickly but the rest is more use it telling you what work will need doing before extras can be added.

If using a Polish electrician then main thing is ring mains and it is so important the ring is maintained to prevent fire and since they are not used in the rest of Europe it would be easy for him to miss testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back