Beam above bi fold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

An expert opinion/ advice needed please.

I have a beam installed as part of my extension. The window fitter has fitted bi fold doors as in the attached.

My question is what happens to the exposed beam across the top of the bi folds?

The steel is in dark red. Builder says it’s ok and usual practice, but I am concerned about cold bridging as the beam is connected to a post on the inside.

Thanks

Attachments

• 01DA461E-7E16-4087-BEAE-CD927B037CCB.jpeg
    01DA461E-7E16-4087-BEAE-CD927B037CCB.jpeg
    419.8 KB · Views: 298
  • F356074F-81C3-4DD9-BD6F-E97A01FA614F.jpeg
    F356074F-81C3-4DD9-BD6F-E97A01FA614F.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
Any ideas how best to rectify? Builder has mentioned paint? Sounds ridiculous and concerned about cold seeping in

What's going on with the kink in the steel, is it several pieces joined?

And are those gouges in the new frame?

1654529513763.png

1654529566754.png

Do you know what type of steel beam it is? An H shape beam or a C shape?

Sponsored Links
What's going on with the kink in the steel, is it several pieces joined?

And are those gouges in the new frame?

View attachment 271496

View attachment 271497

Do you know what type of steel beam it is? An H shape beam or a C shape?
The beam is an I beam. It is the bottom plate that is showing - above that the bricks have covered the beam.

I raised the issue of the bi fold seal having many “crinkles” and builder said it was normal. But they are getting worse every time the doors open!

looks like ' crinkles ' in the rubber gasket to me
They are crinkles in the seal around the bi fold doors not the windows. I have not seen a seal around other similar bi folds, not like this. Could you advise if this is “normal”.

Many thanks !

There is not normally a gasket in that location on doors. It may be specific to the frame system, but I've not seen anything like that in modern doors. As it is, its a route for water to run in.

As for the beam, those sections I circled look like joins. It may be the camera angle or something else, but it looks like there are several sections of the bottom plate jointed together, and if so that is very unusual - not a typical I beam. What they are will determine what the beam is and if it is suitable.

In general, its bad design to use a steel beam like that. That red oxide is not a protective coating, just a primer. Ii is liable to rust both on the exposed edge and behind those bricks as they scratch the coating with normal expansion movement.

Was the beam designed by a professional? And specified installation? Were building control involved - they should have been.

Yeah it would be interesting to see a pic of those gaskets from above to see how they seal (if at all) onto the frame when the doors are closed. Otherwise what purpose do they serve?

How often have we heard from tradespeople 'it's supposed to look like / do that.' If those crinkles on the gasket are 'supposed to be there' then what a rubbish design if nothing else aesthetically.

Reminds me of a time we got venetian blinds fitted. When closed, you could just see outside through the bottom few slats i.e. not closing properly. Got the guy back out. He opened and closed them a few times saying 'Hear that? That's a good closing sound that is!' Tweaked the strings a bit then left ... blinds not one bit better :)

yeah , i'm not so sure that that gasket should be sat like that either... normally its slightly back in so water passes straight over it ...that does look like a potential leak point as already stated. Don't think i've ever seen a gasket sitting ' flush ' with the outside frame like that, just can't see how it works....

There is not normally a gasket in that location on doors. It may be specific to the frame system, but I've not seen anything like that in modern doors. As it is, its a route for water to run in.

As for the beam, those sections I circled look like joins. It may be the camera angle or something else, but it looks like there are several sections of the bottom plate jointed together, and if so that is very unusual - not a typical I beam. What they are will determine what the beam is and if it is suitable.

In general, its bad design to use a steel beam like that. That red oxide is not a protective coating, just a primer. Ii is liable to rust both on the exposed edge and behind those bricks as they scratch the coating with normal expansion movement.

Was the beam designed by a professional? And specified installation? Were building control involved - they should have been.
Thanks for your response.

Yes the beam was to design by SE and Building Control approved. Agree about the rust issue and have discussed with builder but he says again this is “normal”. The design did not state how the builder would construct.

Any help on how to cover the plate would be hugely appreciated!

The bi fold doors are made by Alutech and I cannot see the gaskets on their doors online. I have asked the glazing co and they state this is “normal”.

yeah , i'm not so sure that that gasket should be sat like that either... normally its slightly back in so water passes straight over it ...that does look like a potential leak point as already stated. Don't think i've ever seen a gasket sitting ' flush ' with the outside frame like that, just can't see how it works....
Thanks for your thoughts.

The bi fold doors are alutech design and i cannot fathom if this is part of the original design or a cover up by the glazing company. Still puzzled

Attachments

• E34E82D5-CDC4-44FB-83D4-624477194CE2.jpeg
    E34E82D5-CDC4-44FB-83D4-624477194CE2.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 164
I do wonder if they are fitted the right way round , and that gasket would normally be internal? I'll search my desk drawers and see if I can get any Alutech brochures to see

Thanks for your thoughts.

The bi fold doors are alutech design and i cannot fathom if this is part of the original design or a cover up by the glazing company. Still puzzled
Making sure you don't do any damage to yourself or the doors, is it possible for you to take a couple of pics a bit closer up (and at a downwards angle) from above the doors, showing us how that seal looks from above? Also a couple of pics (again from above) with the doors open a bit.

I've checked some YT vids and although difficult to tell, some designs do appear to have a similar gasket.

And of those beam "joins" I circled in a previous post.

It's not normal to have a red oxide beam exposed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back