Beam and Block Floor vs Wooden Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

We're considering installing beam and block in our new extension instead of wooden joists - to give a less bouncy floor than joists, and to get a more rigid structure. Are there opinions on here what beam and block is like to install/live with, and costs compared to wood? Any issues I should look out for?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
They still bounce, and the china in the welsh dresser will rattle just the same as you walk by

Only real difference cost and maintenance

Can you not build a solid floor?

We can, but the floor will be about 70cm off the ground as the house floor level is higher. Looks like it might be the only way though as we want a fairly rigid floor with minimal bounce.

The old extension will have to be demolished. Could we use the remains of that to build the ground up?

Sponsored Links
The old extension will have to be demolished. Could we use the remains of that to build the ground up?

Yes but smash up any full bricks or at least land stack them to avoid any air pockets. Any hard core base should also be compacted in 150mm layers.
Sledge hammering bricks usually takes care of some compacting. ;)

They bounce as much as an ***** clients cheques

Lived with them, been in houses with them. No better than timber, but not as good as solid. But I suppose it depends on the system and the cover.

Some houses near me have B&B floor, but the blocks are actually big blocks of hollow polystyrene not concrete. And only 73mm screed on top. I may pop in when they are finished to give them a go

Back to the pcc floors, if it's something like the Carter 150 and block infill with a non-structural screed on a fairly long - say 4m+ - span, then they can get a tad bouncy, albeit not to the extent of an inadequately nogged-out joisted floor; but the 200+ deep floors, those with a structural topping, or widebeams are tighter than a nun's chuff.

Are there many different installation methods for beam and block flooring? Appreciate any tips for installing this type of floor.

I've been in a newly built house with these type of floors and it felt rock solid - even on the upper floors. I presume it's long spans that can make these floors 'bouncy'?

You could use pre stressed hollow core flooring or screed over the timber joists.
The former is the ultimate solution IMO.

We can, but the floor will be about 70cm off the ground as the house floor level is higher. Looks like it might be the only way though as we want a fairly rigid floor with minimal bounce.

Just seen this. :D
Way to go. Get a compactor in there instead of the sledge. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back