Beam Calulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Please can any of you good fellows help supply me with beam calculations for my proposed kitchen extension?
I want to open up my rear elevation by 4.55 to enlarge my kitchen

I hope that two U Bs 4.55 x 180x90x18 back to back will do the job but I need calculations for the inspector
My house is a semi, 1930 built brick with no cavities
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
A structural engineer would be qualified to do those calculations for you, and would be insured against professional error.

Is there some reason that you can't pay for this professional service?

Softus thats a Good?

I have only a small budget to do my extension, every penny saved is a blessing, every bit of constructive held will appreciated.
I have no idea how much it would cost for this professional service? You have mentioned. I feel it will be expensive

The thing is that the calculations have to be done right to avoid disaster and to pass Building Control. I don't think the BCO will be impressed by a unqualified post on a DIY forum, or that anyone who's qualified will do it for nothing.

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, er, or something.

Sponsored Links
Softus

I like omelette so I will have to break a few
I have not said that I did not want to pay, I hope that I can find someone who can assist with my enquiry even if they want payment if a qualified professional will do it at a nominal price thats within my scope.

Thanks for you repies

180x90x18 isnt a UB size to start with. ;)
Youll be looking at beams at least 200dp for that kind of span depending on loading. What part of london are you from?

Oh and you may need other calculations for the extension, padstones, foundation design, masonry calcs etc etc

I normally charge about £250 for beam calcuations including padstones etc. I'm not saying it's impossible to do it from a distance but there are variables which are much easier to check out with a 15 minute site visit. I would phone around and use this as a guide price.

I wanted to get a structual engineer out to verify the change of load on some old beams - they quoted £150 minimum. Which isn't cheap but seemed fair until it became apparent that they didn't intend to come on site and see the existing beams or anything - they seemed satisfied with just a phoned description. This was old non-reg timber in an old house. Is that normal?

From the figures above it seems worth having a phone around. I had the calcs done for a pair of steels for £90.

Prices will vary between engineers and normally depending on size of company and the cost of their PI insurance. Youll be lucky to get anything for less than 200 from most.

It is not enought to produce the end result of calcs, The complete workings must be available for building control inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back