Beam Encasement with Fireline Plasterboard

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a U beam with timber joists running into either side of the beam. My intentions are to hide the beam in the ceiling area. If I was to use fireline plasterboard on the entire ceiling area of this room (kitchen) would this be classed as encasing the beam.

I've also put another U beam upstairs in the landing area, does this also have to be encased? If so could I use the same method as above and just use it in the landing area.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't see how you can effectively encase a UB on 3 sides to meet PartB BRegs using the method you describe. IIRC ^Woody^ has got some good details in his picture album on this site on how to firecheck steels (you can use 2 layers PB as well as fireline board / firecheck etc).

I'm sure he won't mind you taking a look, just be careful what you look at in there... :eek:........I was damaged for months last time I went in there..I still have trouble sleeping....... :cry:

You don't need fire line board, as normal 12.5mm board and skim provides enough protection - ie 1/2 hour.

Beams within floor voids do not require additional protection/encasement - the normal plasterboard ceiling is enough

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back