Beat the leak – am I missing a trick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m plagued by things subtly leaking. Can anyone give me some suggestions about how to fix my two most recent problems?

1.. When the plumber put in our vanity unit he very slightly cut the pipe going from the cistern to the bowl too short. It seems long enough at first glance, but you realise when you dismantle the blasted thing (as I did) that the pipe doesn’t quite go far enough into the rubber seal. So, whist it is mostly water tight it isn’t completely. I tried to get a replacement pipe but it was an obscure size (or at least B&Q didn’t have one). Any ideas about either extending the pipe or adding to/improving the seal?

2. Try as I might I can’t get a tight seal on the connection between the water pipe tap and the inlet pipe of my washing machine. I’ve done it a dozen times and even tried plumbers tape. I just can’t seem to get it water tight. Is there a technique or, even better, some sort of extra connection I could use?

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. Do you mean the flush pipe from cistern to pan? Should be a standard size, look in any decent plumbers merchant of possibly the sheds may sell these.

2. Change the washer. Should seal on hand tightening only, if it's been overtightened then could have damaged the washer, meaning it'll never seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back