Plass4 Universal Coupling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm connecting a new 25mm MDPE underground water pipe to old 1/2" copper pipe and I've bought a Plass4 Universal Connector, which is OK for pipes 15mm-22mm diameter.

My attempt today to make the connection resulted in a dribbling leak from the universal side, but I wonder whether I just haven't tightened the nut enough. With it just hand tight, the copper pipe is still moving quite freely inside the connector, and as far as I can see it is the compression of the rubber cylindrical seal around the pipe that makes the seal. However, the internal diameter of that seal is MUCH bigger than the pipe (as it would have to be if it could also take a 22mm pipe, I suppose). Should I just keep tightening until the fitting makes a good seal, and then just a bit more? The instructions say to tighten "very firmly to approx. 90 NM", and while I have no idea how tight that is (and nothing to measure with), I assume that it is rather more that I have so far tried.

Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Best way to gauge that would be, tightening a wheel nut on your car should be to approx 90nM (65lbft), so if you know roughly how tight that is.

If not then it's pretty tight :) Hard to describe, as tight as a compression fitting goes probably.
Best solution is, tighten it until it stops dripping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back