Water main inlet to domestic house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been installing some new pipework in the kitchen and i noted the water main is weeping very slightly. I have tried tightening the compression joint connecting the copper 15mm to the larger plastic main just prior to the stop cock. But to no avail.

Where the water main comes up through the slab it is a plastic pipe that sits within a larger pipe, the larger pipe acting as a conduit in the slab when they poured concrete (probably)

what size is this pipe? is it 22mm and if so can i remove the connector that joins the 15mm copper pipe to the plastic main and use a speed fit connector (22 to 15)as opposed to the compression joint? then put in the stop cock?

so the sequence would be

plastic main (assuming its 22mm) / 22mm to 15mm speedfit connector / 15mm copper pipe / stopcock / 15mm copper pipe.

Sponsored Links
The blue plastic currently in use is 20 or 25mm, but you could have one of the many previous types/sizes. What colour is it?

I'd go for tape or sealant on the olive rather than replacing the fitting.

Hi
Hope you don't mind me jumping in but can you tell me if there should be a minimum or maximum water presser coming into a house? as i Had a gas man out to see about getting a new boiler as the one i have was not working that good (i have just moved into this house)but the guy said it was the water presser not the boiler, pressure is below 1bar and i need about three times that for the boiler to work at it best (it takes about 3/4 hour to run a bath)
Also that we had lead pipes coming into the house, would this be a costly to change
Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Right from what it appears to be, its 20 mm blue mdpe plastic pipe,

I went home last night and stripped down and cleaned the compression joints and applied ptfe, re assembled and also replaced a few compression with pre soldered joints.

Had a look this morning still weeping in some areas, i am not a happy bunny.

Should i strip down again and apply jointing compound to the threads and olives as well?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back