Bed Built Over Stairs Drywall (Possible Or Not?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please don't jump on me if I'm being completely stupid, this is just an idea that popped in to my head.

I've always wanted a raised bed with a couple of steps up to it and I now live in a small one bedroom flat. It used to be offices and in the bedroom I have the drywall from the stairs taking up a lot of space. I have attached a few pictures of the stairs drywall so you can see what I mean.

Is there anyway way of building a safe structure over the drywall to support a bed around half way up? Obviously the framework for the bed would be part of the structure, it just needs to support the mattress and sleeping people.

From what I can tell from knocking, the drywall only has one beam each side and one bottom/top however it seems extremely strong as I have fell on it a few times expecting to fall to my death. :p

Am I being stupid? I think I could make it look pretty sweet if there's a safe way of supporting the mattress.

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

Sponsored Links
Not a good idea mate tbh, and in the very least you'd have to remove the drywall to see where you could build frame supports into etc.

Assuming you aren't actually 9 and want a double bed then you could bolt a support to the far wall above the drywall and bring a beam across to a vertical support coming up from the floor constructing a frame around it all, but it's all going to obstruct your window which could be a fire exit.

It would give you a quite odd shaped room and gain you nothing really. Also is it rented? If so would your LL be ok with it?

Edit: looks wider than I thought in one of the pics, but you could still build a frame over the top end rather than interfering with the drywall itself.

Edit: here look I've drawn it for you (ladders too), the squares would be wall supports to which you attach the top and bottom beams which then come accross and meet a post coming from the floor. It's not structurally sound as drawn of course, various supports and a safety barrier around the edge to stop you falling out are needed but should give you an idea. I've drawn it in plan view above to show the inner side of the frame is slighlty inset from the wall due to the pipes that are boxed in there.

View media item 49152

Sponsored Links
you have to remember safety and keep in mind the window and opening size

also if you sleep commando under a quilt near a window ------- well you can imagine the outcome :eek:

Thanks for all your responses, no I am not 9, I'm 23. When I said a raised bed I meant by a couple of feet, not a bunk bed design. Like rjm2k said it is a lot bigger than it looks and the width of the bed would fit nicely in there.

I will post a sketch later on when I get home but I think my question is already answered as it would involve supporting the bed on the drywall. I just want you to see my idea. (Also so you can see I wasn't thinking like a 9 yr old lol :D)

I think the higher the better as you could keep your desk underneath and not block the window any more than it's currently blocked, you could use the drywall as a headboard too. If you have a LL, they may not be happy with your idea though.

Hi rjm2k, from when I measured up about a foot above the desk seems the ideal height for the bottom of the mattress. My idea is to actually have the length of the bed coming out from the wall.

I do have a landlord but he is my also my boss and he's very easy going about things like this. It shouldn't be a problem for him, I don't plan on moving any time soon.

You'll have to excuse my awful drawing with a biro pen but hopefully it should put the whole idea in to a better perspective.

Obviously the below drawing is not to scale, and I imagine with the height of the mattress there would be two steps as opposed to the one on the drawing but you get the idea.

EDIT: Just reading back through your post, the window is not a problem, the one you see in the photos I could actually completely block out as there is another window the full length of the wall to the left of where the bed would be.

IMG_0530.jpg

A tubular metal frame with allen keyed joints could offer a very flexible solution and easy to take to bits when you leave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back