Bedroom door keeps coming off hinges!

Whatever happened to filling em with match sticks. Obviously strike em first and then put em In.

Sponsored Links
Cgas; it is unlikely to work in this case, as we've determined that the hinge screws were originally screwed into the joint between the face veneer board and the structural frame of the door. The fixing has failed due to the veneer board coming away from the structural frame, hence nothing for the screws to bite into. Loading packers into the holes will only force the face board away even more

Either the face board needs to be fixed back to the structural frame of the door (which will require use of fixings on the door face; could be ugly) or another hinge with a different screw hole pattern should be fitted somewhere else on the door edge, ensuring that the screws holding the new hinge are driven into the structural frame of the door, not the veneer board or the joint between the two

In all honesty I probably should read threads thoroughly before I post. Get bored after the 3rd post if there longish ones.

The hinge is OK as it's a standard internal hinge.

But it looks like it it is sticking out too far from the frame - with the holes too near the edges. If so, it needs to go in a bit so that only the round part of the hinge is sticking out past the frame and door, and none of the flat parts of the hinge.

Sponsored Links
Problem with that approach is that, if true, it can only really go in "a bit".. i.e. A few mm, which won't give the screws enough purchase as the framework of the door will just split again (as you'd expect if you drove a screw into a bit of wood a few mm from the edge.)

The quickest and dirtiest way to repair this door to functional would be to smear that crack with wood glue then blow it into the split, repeat, then drive 4 screws through the face of the door so there's a screw either side of each hinge screw hole, clamping the split back together, wait a couple of hours for the glue to set, and wind the hinge screws back in again. If the aesthetic of screws in the door face is a concern, filler and paint will sort it. Tbh, I'd just paint them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back