Bedroom light wont go off !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, for the last week or so the rcd box trips out the upstairs lights after a couple of minutes and there is a popping sound coming from the pendant when it trips ! Then last night the bedroom light was permanantly on before tipping. Today when I flipped the breaker the light wouldnt come on. It's all old wiring so i put a new pendant lead on and the light came on permanantly again. If this light switch is now permanantly live could the switch live have broken up in the loft ? Bit crewed really. Going to change the whole pendant tommorow but losing the light tonight. Any advice appreciated, cheers guys and gals.

Sponsored Links
Possible switch feed is shorted causing the light to stay on or you may have wired the pendant incorrectly.
Either way get a proper spark to check it out. If its old wiring could be dangerous.

Been in the loft recently?

Have you screwed any boards down in the loft?

Or trodden on a cable where it drops through a conduit in a room below?

I have seen both these in the last 12 months, the first a screw through a switch cable causing the light to come on permanently (it was a twin without cpc, though).

The second where the cable had been lacerated by the unprotected end of a metal conduit after being trodden on.

cheers guys but i didnt touch the pendant just the cable that hangs down off of the tension holder of the old pendant. also no work has been done in the loft/above to cause damage... ie put a screw through or damage wires. either way ill check up there tommorow. thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Had one like this several years back.

I used a vacumm cleaner in the loft to get the earwigs nest out of the top of the rose, through the hole in the ceiling.

Didn't want to take the rose off due to the decor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back